These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:10 pm Advanced search

best tag for overlayer wrapping

Here you can discuss things related to HTML and the Web in general that do not fit in to other categories.

best tag for overlayer wrapping

Postby fcalderan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:36 pm

this is my first post on this forum, so hi folks!

My question is very simple: I often need to create overlayer (elements with a black transparent background with position absolute, like lightbox) in page and until now I've always wrapped them in <div> tag

So I was asking if with html5 I could use a best tag (I was thinking to <aside>) and if old <layer> tag could be re-introduced in html5 for this specifc purpose (like <i> or <b>).

Semantically a <layer> element could define a partial content tangentially related to the document (like aside) but it may be accessible (visible) after a user event and/or a page computation.

what do you think about it?
fcalderan
<h6>

Re: best tag for overlayer wrapping

Postby zcorpan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:05 pm

Since the overlayer would only be of presentational purpose, <div> is most appropriate.
zcorpan
<article>

Re: best tag for overlayer wrapping

Postby Xdega » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:46 pm

I know JAB preaches this a LOT, but please please know the difference between a "tag" and an "element".
I found this very clear article, which explains what the difference is: http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/2 ... ttributes/
Xdega
<h2>

Return to General Discussion