These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:05 pm Advanced search

Storage interface specification and browsers

Do you think the HTML spec should do something differently? You can discuss spec feedback here, but you should send it to the WHATWG mailing list or file a bug in the W3C bugzilla for it to be considered.

Storage interface specification and browsers

Postby davidhong » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi,

I have recently been working on projects that require window.localStorage; However I've found that what is drafted by WhatWG is inconsistent with the common browsers that are out there who seem to implement HTML5 specs in quite detail - like Chromium, WebKit, and etc.

I initially thought that the bug was implementor's fault - however it seems like the spec isn't finalised or up to scratch. So this post is a reminder for someone to chase it up.

In short, storage interface's
Code: Select all
setItem(DOMstring key, in any data);

is not the case. All of the browsers that support windows.localStorage convert argument data as string before storing.

More detailed information can be found in my original bug report to the WebKit community.
davidhong
<h6>

Postby davidhong » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:08 am

Any thoughts?

I personally think current draft as-is quite handy. It would definitely be more useful if we could store objects (string/object) instead of key/value (string/string) pair;
davidhong
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:09 am

The spec changed from DOMString to any (I think it was quite a while ago), but browsers haven't implemented that yet.
zcorpan
<article>

Return to Feedback on the Specs