These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:11 pm Advanced search

Questions...

Here you can discuss things related to HTML and the Web in general that do not fit in to other categories.

Questions...

Postby Laibcoms » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:34 pm

Hi,

Thanks to the news posted by WinCustomize about W3C's new team for HTML6 or I would have heard the news weeks late... and the articles around the net points here.

Now that my mind is clear as to what "WHATWG" is all about (only know WHATWG from your W3C working draft), I have some questions.

I read her eon your site that certain parts of (X)HTML5 can already be used if it is matured enough. Does this mean 'stable' browser versions from MAC and PC (Firefox, Opera) will interpret the (X)HTML5 stuff? 'Coz I read from the FAQ as well that "why wait?" (and I agree..)

Secondly, why use XHTML? I mean, any reason at all? True, I find XHTML 1.0 to 2.0 really strict, and some useful elements and tags that somehow was deprecated without any close-replacement. I know I'm not really using XHTML per se (I'm surprised you said that many 'claim' they're using XHTML when they're not), but I just use it for the sake of using the latest recommendation for the HTML branch.

But now, your group is developing the two separately, I'm opting in using HTML5, but then again, why use XHTML5? When to use it? Is it better than HTML5, especially now that (personally at least) I'm used to the strictness of XHTML5 and learned how to do things differently? Coz in the end, if I go back to HTML5, I'll get used to its kind-of 'looseness' again... It's so hard to decide...

Anyway, thank you very much, and good luck. Hope W3C do merge their HTML6 roadplan with yours, as I believe you are traversing on the right path (yep, I don't know why W3C suddenly stopped development of HTML, I don't even see that much sites using the 'real' XHTML or at least validates as one).

Regards,
JCuneta
Laibcoms
<h6>

Re: Questions...

Postby zcorpan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:09 pm

Laibcoms wrote: Thanks to the news posted by WinCustomize about W3C's new team for HTML6
You mean HTML5?
Laibcoms wrote: I read her eon your site that certain parts of (X)HTML5 can already be used if it is matured enough. Does this mean 'stable' browser versions from MAC and PC (Firefox, Opera) will interpret the (X)HTML5 stuff?
Yes. <canvas>, for instance, have been implemented for some time in Safari, Firefox and Opera, and can be used today. (For IE you can use a JS library, e.g. explorercanvas.)

Laibcoms wrote: Secondly, why use XHTML? I mean, any reason at all? True, I find XHTML 1.0 to 2.0 really strict, and some useful elements and tags that somehow was deprecated without any close-replacement. I know I'm not really using XHTML per se (I'm surprised you said that many 'claim' they're using XHTML when they're not), but I just use it for the sake of using the latest recommendation for the HTML branch.
No reason in particular to use XHTML, unless you want to use XML-only features. That doesn't work very well with IE or Google though.

Laibcoms wrote: But now, your group is developing the two separately,
Actually, they're just two different serializations of the same language.

Laibcoms wrote: I'm opting in using HTML5,
That's fine.

Laibcoms wrote: but then again, why use XHTML5? When to use it?
When you want to use HTML5 in XML.

Laibcoms wrote: Is it better than HTML5,
No.

Laibcoms wrote:especially now that (personally at least) I'm used to the strictness of XHTML5 and learned how to do things differently? Coz in the end, if I go back to HTML5, I'll get used to its kind-of 'looseness' again... It's so hard to decide...
You can continue your coding practices using HTML5.

HTH,
zcorpan
<article>

Postby Laibcoms » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:03 am

Hi,

Thanks for the replies!! That cleared everything ^_^ Now I have to study and learn (x)HTML5 and see what's new, what's old, and what's updated/changed.

Thank you very much again!

Regards,
JCuneta
Laibcoms
<h6>

Return to General Discussion