These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:21 pm Advanced search

Ogg Vorbis, Speex, and FLAC supported in the audio element?

Here you can discuss things related to HTML and the Web in general that do not fit in to other categories.

Ogg Vorbis, Speex, and FLAC supported in the audio element?

Postby wattsferry » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:42 pm

Hi all,

I see that Ogg Theora and Ogg Vorbis will be the default supported format for the video element. For the audio element the spec says that WAV will be the supported format, which is great, but seems somewhat counterintuitive to me given the already defined support for Ogg.

I confused on how this will work, but based on the Ogg Vorbis libraries already living in the codebase to support the video element, will the audio element also provide playback for Ogg Vorbis files? I hope this is the case.

Also, does anyone know if any further discussion of supporting Speex has occurred? I see from the post on the listserv [1] that this has been discussed. It seems that adding Speex support should be straightforward too -- actually I'd hope adding any of the xiph.org projects could be possible. Wrapping a FLAC file in Ogg, for instance, would be a great complement (or alternative) to providing WAV given the smaller file size.

[1] http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2007-May/011515.html

Thanks for any answers you might have,
Clay
wattsferry
<h6>

Re: Ogg Vorbis, Speex, and FLAC supported in the audio eleme

Postby zcorpan » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:48 pm

wattsferry wrote:I confused on how this will work, but based on the Ogg Vorbis libraries already living in the codebase to support the video element, will the audio element also provide playback for Ogg Vorbis files? I hope this is the case.
It depends on the UA. It is not required by the spec currently.
zcorpan
<article>

Postby wattsferry » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:37 pm

zcorpan wrote:It depends on the UA. It is not required by the spec currently.

Okay thanks for clarifying. After re-reading the spec I see that Theora and Vorbis are merely suggested for video, not required. And that as of now there is no required default format for video.

Since WAV PCM will be required for audio, I hope that Vorbis, Speex, FLAC and the like could become suggested formats for audio, especially since the libraries may very well exist in the user agent because of the video support.

With respect to audio and video, I imagine this could be (or is) a political minefield within the WG. What level of importance is the WG placing on support for non-proprietary formats like Ogg or FLAC versus more proprietary ones like WAV? Rephrased, is there a philosophical tendency toward non-proprietary formats?

Thanks,
Clay
wattsferry
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:28 pm

wattsferry wrote:Okay thanks for clarifying. After re-reading the spec I see that Theora and Vorbis are merely suggested for video, not required. And that as of now there is no required default format for video.
They are required, unless you have a really good reason not to support them (see RFC 2119).
wattsferry wrote:Since WAV PCM will be required for audio, I hope that Vorbis, Speex, FLAC and the like could become suggested formats for audio, especially since the libraries may very well exist in the user agent because of the video support.
WAV is a SHOULD requirement just like the video formats.
wattsferry wrote:With respect to audio and video, I imagine this could be (or is) a political minefield within the WG. What level of importance is the WG placing on support for non-proprietary formats like Ogg or FLAC versus more proprietary ones like WAV? Rephrased, is there a philosophical tendency toward non-proprietary formats?
There has been lots of discussion about this in the WHATWG mailing list when video and audio were proposed and added...

http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatw ... 09702.html
http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatw ... 10386.html
zcorpan
<article>

Postby wattsferry » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:43 pm

Thanks for sending these links, it's an interesting insight into the process.

I'm familiar with 2119. For the HTML5 spec, I should note that today I have been looking at the W3C version because I can't access it from the whatwg.org site. I thought that what I had read in recent days in the whatwg.org spec said that Ogg Vorbis and Theora was required, but the W3C version seems to indicate that it isn't. Is their version different than the whatwg version?

zcorpan wrote:They are required, unless you have a really good reason not to support them (see RFC 2119).

At current, on the W3C version of the spec under video codec [1] says Theora and Vorbis are SHOULDs.

zcorpan wrote:WAV is a SHOULD requirement just like the video formats.

At current, on the W3C version of the spec under audio codec [2] says WAV is a MUST.

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#video0
[2] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#audio0

Hopefully this can get clarified in favor of Theora and Vorbis being required.

Thanks, and I'll leave you alone now!
Clay :D
wattsferry
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:48 am

wattsferry wrote: Is their version different than the whatwg version?
No, the WHATWG and the W3C versions are identical from the ToC down.
wattsferry wrote:At current, on the W3C version of the spec under audio codec [2] says WAV is a MUST.
Oops, you're right. My bad.
zcorpan
<article>

Return to General Discussion