These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:21 pm Advanced search

[solved] XHTML 5 & HTML entities

Here you can discuss things related to HTML and the Web in general that do not fit in to other categories.

[solved] XHTML 5 & HTML entities

Postby Le Sage » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:41 pm

hey everyone :)
I see that HTML 5 will support HTML entities, but how about XHTML 5? Is there any way to make XHTML 5 support HTML entities like XHTML 1.1 does? Tried a few things, but it didn't work (I had either errors from the validator or a yellow screen of death. :)
Thanks for your help.
Last edited by Le Sage on Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Le Sage
<h3>

Postby zcorpan » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:48 pm

Using entities (other than the 5 predefined ones) in XML intended for the Web is unsafe. The entities are declared in the DTD, and XML processors are not required to process external DTDs.

You should use the actual characters or NCRs in XML.

The spec has this note:
According to the XML specification, XML processors are not guaranteed to process the external DTD subset referenced in the DOCTYPE. This means, for example, that using entities for characters in XHTML documents is unsafe (except for &lt;, &gt;, &amp;, &quot; and &apos;). For interoperability, authors are advised to avoid optional features of XML.
-- http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/cu ... sing-xhtml
zcorpan
<article>

Postby Le Sage » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:00 pm

All right then, makes perfect sense.
& for those who didn't know immediately like me what NCRs were, Numeric character reference, like Σ or &#x3A3; (that's what I'm ,using right now).
Thanks for your help zcorpan, the thread is [solved]. :D
Le Sage
<h3>

Return to General Discussion