These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:21 pm Advanced search

HTML 5 Offline Web Search

Here you can discuss things related to HTML and the Web in general that do not fit in to other categories.

HTML 5 Offline Web Search

Postby kapilmunjal » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:22 am

I have a question for the HTML5 community. We have a website which can be accessed offline with the "Offline web application" feature of HTML5.

Case 1 - the user has searched on 5 different terms when he was online. what will happen when the user goes offline, and try to search on different terms. Will he be able to get the correct results?

Case 2 - the user has never searched on any terms on the webpage which has been cached when user was online. What will happen if the user search on that webpage when he goes offline. Does the search page returns any results???

Thanks
Kapil
kapilmunjal
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:46 pm

I guess it's technically possible to make the search work offline if you store all the data needed to perform the search in the client side database, and then implement a search engine in javascript.

However I'm not sure it's practical. I wouldn't expect to be able to search a Web site when I'm offline (unless I've searched for the same thing before and the results were cached).
zcorpan
<article>

Return to General Discussion