These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:11 pm Advanced search

How to help

Here you can discuss things related to HTML and the Web in general that do not fit in to other categories.

How to help

Postby np » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:36 am

What are some ways that web developers can help with HTML5? I know that the WHATWG is probably looking for feedback on the specification, but without having an implementation to play around with, it's hard for me to get my head around the spec and make suggestions.
np
<h6>

Postby Hixie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:09 am

Some parts actually are implemented... <canvas>, for example, is in Firefox, Opera, and Safari (and IE if you use the Google Canvas extension for IE); many of the Web Forms 2 things are in the latest version of Opera, as is the cross-frame messages feature; the Storage APIs are in Firefox; the drag and drop APIs are in Safari and IE... I forget what else is implemented right now.

It's a good question, though, anybody else have any ideas what people can do to help if they're not good at reading specs?
Hixie
<h5>

Postby hasather » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:12 am

Hixie wrote:I forget what else is implemented right now.?

Opera also has server-sent DOM events implemented.
hasather
<h6>

Postby np » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:20 am

Could a list be made somewhere of the state of the different sections and what implementations exist?

What about writing test cases for the implemented sections?
np
<h6>

Postby Hixie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:29 am

I just created (based on Lachy's ideas): http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/What_you_can_do

The status thing (keeping track of how up to date each section is) is something that Charl is working on. If you want to help out with that that would be awesome -- if you do, then mail me (ian@hixie.ch) and I'll put you in touch with him.
Hixie
<h5>

Postby met » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:25 pm

Hixie wrote:Some parts actually are implemented... ...many of the Web Forms 2 things are in the latest version of Opera,

Didn't even realize it. Whow, <input type="date" /> works in Opera!

Sorry for rejoicing. I am afraid few people now this. Can be somewhere maybe on http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Implementations list of such implementations in browsers? Just very very short list. It can really help evangelists, to make examples, blog... Looks for me there have been implemented more thinks than many of us know.
met
<h6>

Postby Hixie » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:26 pm

Feel free to write a wiki page for this, or get people together to do this!
Hixie
<h5>

Postby met » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:21 pm

Hixie wrote:Feel free to write a wiki page for this, or get people together to do this!

http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Implementat ... b_browsers created. I put there what I have discovered. Hope it is good first fragment.
met
<h6>

Return to General Discussion