These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:21 pm Advanced search

Death of the <a> element.

Here you can discuss things related to HTML and the Web in general that do not fit in to other categories.

Postby Le Sage » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:23 am

JAB Creations wrote:HTML5 looks like it's not just going to BREAK the web but destabilize the standards professional web designers have been pressing for if people who have no professional sense of (X)HTML and CSS start having their way with HTML5. I also question the direction XHTML 2 is headed. XHTML 1.1 is the only way to go right now of course with fall back to 1.0 Strict for those waking up at noon...err four...no...sunset?

This is another debate that shouldn't take place in this very thread.
Le Sage
<h3>

Postby gdoolittle » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:09 am

it occurred to me to ask, do we have a way to style link objects in CSS if they don't share a common HTML object name (i.e. the anchor tag)?

we would need something like:

Code: Select all
if (object has an href)  {
  color: #009;
  background: #FFF;
}

it turns out, we already have support for this in css 3:

Code: Select all
*[href] {
  color: #009;
  background: #FFF;
}

just thinking outloud here..
gdoolittle
<h6>

Postby JAB Creations » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:32 am

Check the list of CSS3 selectors, you can already do that in Opera 9.5, Safari 3, and in the next 3.x version of Firefox.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby zcorpan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:51 pm

Attribute selectors are part of CSS2 and have been supported in browsers for ages (except IE6). Or you could use :link, :visited which is CSS1, but wouldn't work in browsers that don't know about the new linking mechanism on other elements.
zcorpan
<article>

href on other elements

Postby SneakyWho_am_i » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:17 am

True zcorpan, although if the older browser didn't recognize the new links, would you really want to style them as links? I'd opt for :link over [href] so that only the things actually usable as links would be styled as the same.
SneakyWho_am_i
<h5>

Previous

Return to General Discussion