These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:11 pm Advanced search

HTML5 audio manipulation

Here you can discuss things related to HTML and the Web in general that do not fit in to other categories.

HTML5 audio manipulation

Postby dranzeraef » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Kind Regards, I'm programing an audio player in HTML5 and i have this nice question. Hope anyone can answer it properly.

Is it possible to manipulate audio frequences (equalize) with some HTML5+Js stuff?

Thanks for your time.
dranzeraef
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:40 pm

There's no API for audio manipulation yet. You could write a WAVE/PCM encoder in javascript and serialize as a data: URL and stick it into an <audio> element, but that has many obvious problems like not being able to manipulate real-time (have to reload the media for each change), probably having bad performance and memory characteristics, and actually having to implement an encoder in javascript...

An API will probably be added in due course, though.
zcorpan
<article>

Postby dranzeraef » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:06 pm

I checked the audio tag specification and you're right when you say that this function is fairly impossible to manage.
First problem is to have a real-time change in sound frequences.
Second one is not having native audio frequences manipulation (that memory issue you say)

The use of PCM type of audio makes application rude when you get used to Xiph Foundation codecs (Theora and Vorbis) or even Matroska. It's like driving an Smart when you already own Ferrari.

Thanks anyway.
dranzeraef
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:44 pm

Well you could write an Ogg/Vorbis encoder in javascript instead but I imagine that's at least an order of magnitude more complex.
zcorpan
<article>

Postby dranzeraef » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:55 pm

Are you sure that writing and encoder for Js is more complex? I can write it now on a piece of paper (obviously ironic)
dranzeraef
<h6>

Return to General Discussion