These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:11 pm Advanced search

How long before we can start using WebM with HTML 5

Here you can discuss things related to HTML and the Web in general that do not fit in to other categories.

If WebM was supported from all browsers excep IE would you still use it?

Yes
100%
No
No votes
WebM will never pick up!
No votes

Total votes : 3

How long before we can start using WebM with HTML 5

Postby erunways » Tue May 25, 2010 6:05 am

I have to admit that I was pretty excited about switching to webm videos combined with the html 5 video player but I was rather disappointed when I found out there is not even one browser that supports it. Only few beta versions web browsers do at this point. I made a test page if you are curious to see WebM with HTML 5 but you need to download one of those browsers which I have listed on the test page. So I guess I am wondering optimistically speaking when will finally make the big step into webm? Here is a link to the demo page http://erunways.com/html5/WebM_VP8_video/
erunways
<h6>

Postby mskinner » Tue May 25, 2010 9:31 am

Internet Explorer 9 will support WebM - IF the user has the codec installed.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2010/05/19/another-follow-up-on-html5-video-in-ie9.aspx

Considering it is a very recent announcement, I think it's remarkable that there are already early/nightly builds of Firefox, Chrome and Opera that support it. It's too soon to consider using WebM exclusively IMHO.
mskinner
<h2>

Postby JAB Creations » Tue May 25, 2010 12:53 pm

I'll only use a codec if it's entirely free to use. Microsoft is clearly playing politics with the HTML5 video element. Same markup same rendering my donkey.

Two or more free codecs is the way to go. I'll never use H.264 period and will advise all my clients against doing so unless they want more bills to deal with.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Return to General Discussion