These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:11 pm Advanced search

How disable "Save video as ..." option on HTML5

Here you can discuss things related to HTML and the Web in general that do not fit in to other categories.

How disable "Save video as ..." option on HTML5

Postby leoxagy12 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:30 pm

I want to put some .ogv videos on LAN in my apache server, using whatever .. right now I'm using <video> of HTML5, so far so good, but I don't want others to download the files as that easy ....

Any suggestion is apreciated.

Thanks in advance!
leoxagy12
<h6>

Save Video As

Postby proverbian » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:18 am

Hi, im wondering also if anyone can remove the "Save Video As" in HTML5..

is it possible that we will be using DIV/CSS to block that?
proverbian
<h6>

Postby JAB Creations » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:45 am

This is web basics 101, if you allow a client to have access the file in any way you can't prevent them from retaining a copy. The best use of your time would be to completely drop the subject because you can't give something to someone and not let them have it, it's one of those rules of the universe or something.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby Alan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:10 am

This is the same discussion that has been had over image theft for the past decade or two.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't give something to the user and not let them make a copy. This is true for text, images, audio, video and interactive content alike.

You can make it more difficult to make a copy (e.g. DRM) but that will not stop malicious users at all. If you what you want is that people don't violate your copyright, just look for copyright violations and take legal action. Even the DMCA can't sufficiently "protect" you against Fair Use.

Maybe browser vendors will come up with a way to disable "save as", but then there'll still be a fair share of browsers that will either make this optional or won't implement it at all.
Alan
<h5>

Return to General Discussion