These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:11 pm Advanced search

<audio> not working in firefox. help!

Here you can discuss things related to HTML and the Web in general that do not fit in to other categories.

<audio> not working in firefox. help!

Postby julianwalter » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:08 am

hey guys, I just put together a site for a friend's recording studio. I created a 'sounds' page with a simple little flash swf player that can be placed and linked to a file. I want to have a non-flash version for mobile devices, by just using the <audio> tags but for some reason they are not working.

the page is www.manifestmusicproductions.com/soundsNonflash.php

I've tried to get the first song working with just the <audio> tag linked to an ogg file. this first song works great in chrome; in safari the player comes up but when you hit play, nothing happens; and in firefox, there's just a big box with an X in it. I found a page where someone was showing off the <audio> tags and when I tried linking to his ogg file, it worked in firefox! so I thought it might be my mp3->ogg conversion (I'm using Switch), and sure enough, none of the files I convert work.

soooo, I may have just answered my own question.. but are there certain limitations of ogg that it can handle? like bitrate/depth/etc I don't know all the terms. my buddy insisted on real high quality mp3s.

thank you so much for any help! :)
julianwalter
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:37 am

The server seems to be serving http://www.manifestmusicproductions.com ... ittome.ogg as text/plain. It needs to be video/ogg for it to play.

.htaccess

AddType video/ogg .ogg .ogv
AddType audio/ogg .oga
zcorpan
<article>

Postby julianwalter » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:34 pm

eep! I just tried and it gave me a '500 server error' when I try to go to the site, so I just deleted the file. reading a couple "guides to .htaccess" right now to get it figured out. thanks for the reply! I'll post again if I'm stuck..

http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml
http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/1

in case anyone else is interested
julianwalter
<h6>

Postby julianwalter » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:44 am

very interesting. so my htaccess file wasn't working, and I called godaddy to have them check it out. the lady put me on hold five minutes and got back to me saying they fixed it. she said "one of the engineers was able to check it out and change something, which he really isn't supposed to do, but now it works"

sure enough when I go back to my page (http://www.manifestmusicproductions.com ... nflash.php) the little audio player is there! the engineer apparently changed my old file to a different name so that I could look at the two. but upon inspection, I can't see any changes that he made to your code zcorpan.

oh well, in the end I learned all about htaccess today :)

thanks so much for the help!
julianwalter
<h6>

Postby JAB Creations » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:13 pm

I can't remember offhand what web host it was as it was for one of my clients but I've had an oddity with .htaccess files. If I recall correctly I can't overwrite the file if it exists however the host would allow me to delete the file and then upload it via FTP. I don't understand why, maybe permissions though I never looked too deeply in to the issue.

I always recommend testing things out locally first. If you can get it to work locally then I recommend testing it out in a sub-directory on your live host to make sure it won't cause issues on your live site. :)
JAB Creations
<aside>

Return to General Discussion