These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:11 pm Advanced search

Poblem Browser

Here you can discuss things related to HTML and the Web in general that do not fit in to other categories.

Poblem Browser

Postby bonucci » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:00 pm

Hi everybody, im using html5, in firefox the site looks good, but when i switch to Internet explorer, its all screwed, could you guys help me.
bonucci
<h6>

Postby Alan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:53 am

I'm pretty sure your problem is related to MSIE's treatment of unknown elements (i.e. CSS isn't being applied to them, so they're all inline and unstyled).

Check Resig's explanation of this problem for more details and the html5shiv project for an easy fix.
Alan
<h5>

Postby slothmister » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:39 pm

IE is a terrible browser but is the worlds most used one unfortunately.

I have experimented with HTML 5 and generally you can include some text after the code to inform the user that their browser does not support HTML 5, or some extra code to load an alternative to the HTML 5.

Example:

<audio>
<whatever HTML 5 you want/>
some code to load only if the above HTML 5 code does not work
</audio>

However, if it is just the site looks "wrong" then it is most likely a problem with your CSS. So you might want to look into how to adapt CSS for IE.
slothmister
<h6>

Postby Alan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:45 am

<audio>, <canvas> and <video> all allow for nested fallback content, I think. Putting the fallback content after the HTML5 elements would mean you'd have to hide them manually in HTML5 browsers. Nested fallbacks OTOH are only displayed by browsers that don't recognize the elements (a bit like how <noscript> content is only displayed when JS is disabled).
Alan
<h5>

Postby earthflyer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:39 pm

New to HTML5 as well and have found firefox and IE no good for HTML5 so far but Opera has been the only one working for me.
earthflyer
<h6>

Return to General Discussion