These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:10 pm Advanced search

why is implementing drag drop so difficult?

Here you can discuss things related to HTML and the Web in general that do not fit in to other categories.

why is implementing drag drop so difficult?

Postby niloy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:13 am

Why is implementing drag drop so difficult in html5? No one likes the KISS principle anymore? In its current state, you just gotta use some js library to do it sanely.
niloy
<h6>

Postby JAB Creations » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:16 am

JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby zcorpan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:28 am

There were already two impls of drag and drop at the time it was specced (IE and Safari).
zcorpan
<article>

Postby niloy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:57 pm

zcorpan wrote:There were already two impls of drag and drop at the time it was specced (IE and Safari).
thats the reason it wasnt simplified? even though it was hardly ever used.
niloy
<h6>

Postby Xdega » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:13 pm

You know, it isn't too late to simplify it. I would certainly back any attempt to make the drag and drop feature more accessible. The implications of drag and drop for the future of web development is great. In it's current stats, its simply too bloated though.

One thing I instantly think of is the potential for lots of web pages where you simply drag all the elements around the page as you wish (atm I think it would be a coding nightmare to achieve). Another thing we may see would maybe be e-mail, where you drag your e-mail messages in to a trash can or drag images in to a browser to add it to an e-mail. Maybe other ideas where websites can be simulated desktops.

Although a lot of the aforementioned ideas have been done, I think drag and drop has the potential to make such things less in the realm of specialty talented JS coders, and more in the hands of the Intermediate Web Designer.
Xdega
<h2>

Return to General Discussion