These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:03 pm Advanced search

How do you use the border-radius tags in IE7 and IE8

Here you can discuss things related to HTML and the Web in general that do not fit in to other categories.

How do you use the border-radius tags in IE7 and IE8

Postby nuevolutionWd » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:11 am

Ok, this far I was amazed at the power of HTML5, but it wasn't until I started using the border-radius tag. I've implemented the Google shim code and yes it did solve some of my problems [if I want to stick to a shoe-box type layout], but what if I decide to use the border radius command? It renders correctly in Firefox, Opera, Safari, and Chrome of course with the use of -webkit, and -moz attributes, but is there anything out there for for the older IE browsers?

I don't want to use to many java-script hacks if possible just incase there's people using mobile phones to access my web site...
nuevolutionWd
<h6>

Re: How do you use the border-radius tags in IE7 and IE8

Postby Xdega » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:49 pm

Well IE9 has native support for that element. But afaik, you're going to have to use some JS to get it working in older versions of IE.
http://css3pie.com/ is a popular solution for this. Best of luck.
Xdega
<h2>

Postby freeTinker » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:14 am

I would be interested to know folks general attitude to this? - do you cater to the Nth degree for IE? - take the attitude that it may not look 100% the same in IE, but it works fine? - or only if the client requests, and then up the fee? (or not?)

I'm not talking only about border-radius, (and IE6 discussion seems to have played out a while back now, so IE7/8/9 focus) but this seems like an opportunity to ask

Interesting...
freeTinker
<h5>

Postby Xdega » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:39 pm

Here's my opinion, and it's just an opinion. I choose not to support anything older than IE8 for my personal projects, but I am a student and not officially working in the field yet. I do also include the following footer:
This website makes extensive use of new web based technologies and coding.
We recomend that you make sure you are running the latest version of your current web browser.

Obviously in a career scenario, whatever a paying client wants should be considered providing the price is right for the extra time involved. If you answer to a boss, I suppose you wouldn't have a choice on the matter (besides arguing your point).

IE9 thankfully supports a lot of new features, and as such I think it is definitely fair to bring IE9 on board as a browser you should attempt to cater for.

Ultimately though with any project, you should ask yourself if a particular element is really needed and relevant to the project. There's nothing worse than people just slapping on drop shadows and rounded edges for no apparent design reason than "because they can".

my 2c
Xdega
<h2>

Postby JAB Creations » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:55 pm

1.) The border-radius property is CSS, it is not HTML, it is a CSS property.

2.) There are not "tags" in HTML, there are elements (e.g. <element attribute="value" attribute="value" />).

3.) There is no way to code border-radius in Internet Explorer 8 or older, to have rounded corners you would have to use graphical hacks.

4.) Don't use graphical hacks, IE8 and older will be disappearing over time and the time to implement the graphical hacks will have quickly decreasing benefits.

5.) People using Internet Explorer in general will very likely not notice rounded corners.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby JAB Creations » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:04 pm

You should run copies of XP in a virtual environment (e.g. virtualization). You can not run standalone copies of Internet Explorer. See my tutorial here and system-IE detection here: http://www.jabcreations.com/web/css/ieccss

In the limited time I've spent with IE9 I've already found bugs, you have to test versions of IE that you support as the system version of IE. In example if you get a standalone version of IE7 working on an IE8 system then conditional comments on the IE7 standalone will act as if you're using IE8 even though the IE7 standalone will render CSS and execute JavaScript like IE7.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby Xdega » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:36 pm

JAB Creations wrote:In the limited time I've spent with IE9 I've already found bugs,

I haven't messed with IE9 much either (probably nowhere near as much as you). I was just excited about the increasing support of features. I guess that is irrelevant if you are already finding bugs with it though. One thing I did notice with IE9 is the aliasing is very strange, the edges seem a little "over sharp" if you know what I mean.

Why does IE have to be such a mess? I mean IE appears to be the bane of web development, why does it even exist? How does Microsoft get away with this? I guess we can hope the IE9 bugs you have found get fixed? /shrug
Xdega
<h2>

Postby JAB Creations » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:05 am

I'm against Microsoft's anti-GUI antics however I have no problem giving credit where credit is due and things such as favicons and AJAX have come from Microsoft. If keeping IE around means more potential awesomeness in the future I say keep the browser and migrate users to more modern browsers. IE9 still is not enough though it does put IE10 in the potential for some serious donkey kicking if they play their cards right. I think it'll be a bit of a mixed bag though with the politics as in example Opera 11.5 has full hardware support across all platforms while Microsoft is relying on DirectX which I've read is the bane of most video game developers due to overhead.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Return to General Discussion