These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:10 pm Advanced search

HTML5 without any Flash

Here you can discuss things related to HTML and the Web in general that do not fit in to other categories.

HTML5 without any Flash

Postby maxr » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:54 pm

I've noticed that one of the html5's goals is to reduce the need for external plugin, flash 5 for example. Considering the browsers would need external plugins to support many formats of video and audio as well, that goal doesn't get conflicting? Would the browsers be supposed to maintain the codecs without any external library ? Would the codecs be embedded? Or is the main reason to avoid closed solutions like Flash?

Thanks in advance
maxr
<h6>

Re: HTML5 without any Flash

Postby dhayfule » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:41 am

maxr wrote:Would the browsers be supposed to maintain the codecs without any external library ? Would the codecs be embedded? Or is the main reason to avoid closed solutions like Flash?

Not sure but <video> and <audio> tag works in Firefox and Opera. What I noticed is they have laid specifications on the formats for different browsers. In those terms may be what you guessed is right... The codecs may be embedded in the browser. But what my question is, why are different formats supported by different browsers. Secondly if HTML 5 wants to completely replace flash, then the HTML5 video should provide a tool or tags/properties to enable interactivity in the movies.
dhayfule
<h6>

Re: HTML5 without any Flash

Postby bennyliu » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:25 am

One of the primary goals of html5 is to promote the safety of browser and reduce the task of developer. It can realize some of the functions that did by flash. So the browser doesn't need any plugin.
The problem is browser's support is not unified due to their own profit. I hope it could form a unified standard among the browsers.
bennyliu
<h6>

Return to General Discussion