These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:10 pm Advanced search

How do i know if the playing video is in HTML5 format

Here you can discuss things related to HTML and the Web in general that do not fit in to other categories.

How do i know if the playing video is in HTML5 format

Postby jackuars » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:20 am

Hi guys. I want to know if the video that am playing in Youtube is in HTML 5 format. How can i deduce?
jackuars
<h6>

Re: How do i know if the playing video is in HTML5 format

Postby JAB Creations » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:49 am

The quickest way is to right click on the video and look at what you get for a context menu.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby jackuars » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:14 am

Isn't there a better way?
jackuars
<h6>

Postby JAB Creations » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:27 am

There are more difficult and technically in-depth ways. You did not list the context of why thus you are currently open to pretty much any answer that comes to mind by others.

YouTube has very slowly started switching to WebM format, I download videos with a toolbar because my ISP insists on not letting me watch videos without stuttering on a 12 megabit internet connection. It gives me several options and sometimes the choice between mp4 and webm file extensions.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby jackuars » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:24 am

Here's the thing. Youtube videos encoded in .h264 format doesn't work in Firefox as it believes in free and open source web. It plays video in WebM/Ogg Theora format. But Chrome and Safari plays videos in .h264 format and these browsers are also paying fees for it. Html 5 videos implementing .h264 codec is increasing as it is supposed to have better quality and performance. So i want to know if the playing video is implemented in HTML 5 format and whether its using h.264 codec.
jackuars
<h6>

Postby ramesh.nair » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:53 am

I need to develop an HTML5 application using video, audio, canvas. Need to choose a browser to run on Embedded Linux.

Which browser supports H.264 ?
Which browser supports MJPEG?
ramesh.nair
<h6>

Return to General Discussion