These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:04 pm Advanced search

HTML5 for our new project

Here you can discuss things related to HTML and the Web in general that do not fit in to other categories.

HTML5 for our new project

Postby msambasiva » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:44 am

Hi,

I am very new to this forum. Thanks for giving me opportunity to be part of this forum.

Coming to our requirement,

We are going to populate the content from XMLs into Database (SQLite).\

We want to develop a User interface to fetch the content from DB. One of our team member suggested to go for HTML5. I tried to read some online docs to understand features of HTML5. Well I agree that, HTML5 is providing simple way to do things compared to earlier versions.

I am confusing, how much value adittion I can get by using HTML5 in our simple requirement.

REQ: We need to provide a form to the end user and then based on user selection, we need to fetch the results , display to end user...That's it.

Please let me know, if you have any queries on my requirement.

Please help with best option (technology) to select to proceed with our requirement.

Thanks in advance,
Samba.
msambasiva
<h6>

Re: HTML5 for our new project

Postby JAB Creations » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:42 am

To create an interface to a database using a web page you need two program for both the client and the server. Client languages traditionally involve (X)HTML, CSS, JavaScript and the DOM while an example of a server side scripting language would be PHP.

The place to start would be to determine how to program the server scripting language. Testing should always be done locally first, that is on a production computer and not a live environment. For a very quick (about 2-10 minutes) basic setup I recommend downloading and installing XAMPP. It has a control panel to start/stop Apache and MySQL (not sure how this would fit with your existing database) though you may only need Apache. You'll likely want to revise the website folder here...

Make a backup copy of the default configuration! If your changes are successful after a server restart back that revised copy as well.

xampp\apache\conf\httpd.conf

...which is listed a few times (DocumentRoot, <Directory , ScriptAlias , <Directory , (last two for CGI, unrelated to what you're doing)).

Restart Apache whenever you make changes to the configuration file.

Once you've got Apache/PHP running using XAMPP you'll want to experiment connecting to the SQL database using PHP.

That should be considered the basic starter approach to your goal.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Return to General Discussion