These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:13 pm Advanced search

HTML 5 current work is too big and crashes my browser

If you are stuck or have questions regarding HTML or other Web technologies, ask your questions here. No question too dumb!

HTML 5 current work is too big and crashes my browser

Postby fritz the cat » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:18 am

Hi. Great work, but every so often I am reading about HTML 5, someone points a link to the current work page
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-workers/current-work/
and it's so massive and has so much 'clever' stuff in it my browser can't cope and crashes.

Can't you guys splt it into smaller chunks, or at least remove the floating searchboxes and other clever stuff?

Thanks.
fritz the cat
<h6>

Postby JAB Creations » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:32 pm

If you get an error message I recommend searching for it first and foremost to see what others have posted.

If you're using Firefox considering creating a new profile to see if your existing profile is the cause of your troubles.

How much RAM do you have? You should run at least 1GB on XP, 4GB on Vista/7.
JAB Creations
<aside>

It was the wrong link. RAM is not a problem. It's the page

Postby fritz the cat » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi. I had posted the wrong link
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/

I know theres a multipage version but for some reason a lot of people seem to point to the monster page.

It happens on FF OS XI tried on 3 different machines with RAM between 4 and 8Gb. Surely enough to read some specs on the internet. Also tried creating a new profile, no difference. I don't get an error message, it just freezes and eventually crashes.

It seems common sense that if you have a content heavy page you shouldn't have all those floating notes and divs and eye candy. Think of handheld devices or browsers with memory leaks.
fritz the cat
<h6>

Postby JAB Creations » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:50 pm

Yeah it crashed my copy of Firefox and I have a pretty capable system myself. :roll: I honestly think the page needs to exploded down to chapters instead.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby zcorpan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:49 am

zcorpan
<article>

That's no help

Postby fritz the cat » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:54 am

I am aware those pages exist but I have no control over whether other websites link to it or to the monster page.

Why can't you just guys admit that page is a bad idea and change it. I am sure other people had the same problem but couldn't be bothered to get back to your site once their browser crashed, create an account on your message baord and post a description of the problem.
fritz the cat
<h6>

Return to Help & Advice