These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:13 pm Advanced search

Web Application Help !

If you are stuck or have questions regarding HTML or other Web technologies, ask your questions here. No question too dumb!

Web Application Help !

Postby jd99 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me. I am researching a framework to use for a Database Driven Web Application. I recently began researching HTML 5 but I'm concerned about browser support of HTML 5. I'm thinking of choosing one of the following options. Please let me know which one you think I should use, or if you recommend something else:

1. VB.Net with Microsoft SQL Server.
2. HTML 4/5 and CSS with Microsoft SQL Server.
3. Drupal.
4. Joomla.
5. Ruby On Rails.
6. ASP.Net with Microsoft SQL Server.

Your help is MUCH appreciated !

Thanks,

JD
jd99
<h6>

Re: Web Application Help !

Postby Xdega » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:40 am

It's very hard to recommend a framework without knowing the purpose of your Application and what you what to get out of it. Each framework has things they do best.

Could you provide more information on the website you plan on developing? What kind of features are you looking to implement etc?
Xdega
<h2>

Postby jd99 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Hi Xdega,

Thanks for the reply. I am researching options for a few projects. I am somewhat re-familiarizing myself to programming languages so I would like to choose a solid platform to learn. Through previous education I am familiar with XHTML, CSS, Visual Basic, Oracle, etc.. I completed my courses in 2002. So, I do have a familiarity with programming but I have not used the programming skills in almost 8 years and I'm sure techniques have changed. I've been a Network Engineer for the last few years. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have in regards for me to get up to speed quickly with programming. I have four projects to start as follows:

1. Create a database driven Corporate Application that includes modules for User Information (Name, Position, Department, Education, Pay Grade, etc.), Scheduling, Asset/Inventory Management, Purchasing, etc. It would be nice to have the application run on multiple platforms (Windows, Apple, etc.). It would be nice to have integration with Microsoft's Active Directory.

2. Create a Database Driven Web Site that includes a CMS and is similar to a Social Media type of web site. It should include rich media content (Video/Audio), Blog, Forums, Chat, eCommerce, etc. It would be nice to have the web site execute on multiple browsers (IE, Firefox, Safari, etc.).

3. Create a mobile phone application that can execute on multiple devices (Blackberry, iPhone, Android, etc.).

4. Create a mobile phone game that can execute on multiple devices (Blackberry, iPhone, Android, etc.).

I was hoping to learn a language or languages that could be used for all these projects. Learning one language would be preferred but that's obviously not possible. I was also hoping to combine the Corporate Application and the Website into one application.

I've researched quite a bit and I'm not sure what to choose, especially for mobile phone app development. Below are a few options I've researched. Please let me know what you recommend or if you suggest I use something else. Any feedback is MUCH appreciated.

1. HTML 4/5 and CSS with Microsoft SQL Server. (I'm concerned some browsers will not be able to support HTML5 yet).

2. Ruby On Rails.

3. Java.

3. Drupal.

4. Joomla.

5. ASP..Net with Microsoft SQL Server.

6. VB.Net with Microsoft SQL Server.

Thanks,

Jason
jd99
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:43 am

Your list of options don't make much sense. #1 is lacking a server-side programming language. You will need HTML/CSS regardless. #3 and #4 are CMSes while the others are programming languages.

(1) (2) and even (3) can be the same Web application (you can create a mobile-"optimized" view of the app for mobiles if you want, but keep in mind that some users will want to access the full app from the mobile too). Whether you implement the app from scratch in the programming language of your choice, or get a kick start from using a CMS, that's up to you.

The game can be implemented with Web technologies too (even 3d games are possible with webgl these days). Otherwise you'll need to implement it several times (once for each platform).
zcorpan
<article>

Postby jd99 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:43 am

Hi Zcorpan,

Thanks for the reply. I have not been involved in application programming for almost 9 years and I do need help to clarify the components required for the different architectures. I want to make web applications and mobile games so I would be grateful if you could clarify the different architectures and the components required for the architectures.

Regards,

Jason
jd99
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:02 am

Ok. I suggest you start with the web site. Start by choosing a CMS that is extensible and has lots of "plugins" so that it is easy to install the components you want (chat, forum, blog etc) without having to implement it from scratch yourself. There are lots of free and good CMSes. Which CMS you choose drives which server-side programming language and database you need to use. For instance, Joomla uses PHP and MySQL.

After that you can try to implement the features you want in the "corporate application" in the CMS. Then create a "mobile-friendly" view of the app (if there's demand for such a thing). Then the games. :-)

HTH
zcorpan
<article>

Postby jd99 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:55 am

Thanks for the info. So I guess Joomla is a rapid application development framework, and if users wants to customize it they can insert their own programming. Can you provide input and your thoughts about other architectures. Example:

ASP.Net and Microsoft SQL Server.
Ruby on Rails.
Java (what is the architecture for a Java Web Application ?).
etc.

Thanks
jd99
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:09 am

I don't have personal experience with either of them (but that doesn't mean they're not good). :)
zcorpan
<article>

Postby zcorpan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:12 am

I would say there's a difference between rapid application development framework and CMS. Ruby on Rails is a rapid application development framework while Joomla is a CMS. I guess you need to read up on both to see what fits your needs best.
zcorpan
<article>

Postby Xdega » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:48 pm

Without knowing your level of coding experience, I can give you some options that cover different levels of coding ability.

I am a PHP+SQL fanboy myself. PHP/SQL is extremely widely used, and PHP is relatively easy to work with in comparison to some others, for most applications PHP/SQL will more than suffice. I believe Microsoft based technologies (.ASP) are aimed at more huge scale eCommerce applications.

I would look in to using Drupal or Joomla and be prepared to completely customize the code. If you want to be really ambitious and write your entire CMS from the ground up, you could look in to more "bare-bones" php frameworks such as Zend Framework, or the cutting edge SymfonyFramework.
Xdega
<h2>

Postby jd99 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:46 pm

Hi Xdega,

My level of coding experience is quite limited. I have experience in XHTML, SQL, and limited experience with Visual Basic 6, Perl, Cobol. I think I'll be learning as a beginner because it has been so long since I have done programming, and the languages have experienced changes. So, my preference is to learn something dedicated for Mobile Apps (iphone, blackberry, android) and for a Web Application. These are personal projects, but I also have projects I need to complete for my employer's environment. I'm trying to learn languages that can be used in both environments.

Did you use PHP with Microsoft SQL Server ?

After reviewing some details, I think I am leaning towards learning PHP and mySQL or MS SQL Server for the web application. I will not incorporate the web application into the CMS (Joomla) because I think it would be quite complex. It would probably be cleaner, from a programming perspective, to build an integrated Web Application and CMS from the ground up, but unfortunately I do not have time to do that.

I do have Microsoft's Visual Studio 2008 and Microsoft SQL server 2008 Standard edition, but the web hosting packages seem to be cheaper for PHP and mySQL solutions. I am interested in learning ASP.NET, but at this time I think the PHP/mySQL direction would be better. My employer's environment is in a Microsoft Windows 2008 Active Directory architecture so it would be nice to integrate the PHP/mySQL architecture with Active Directory. Is this possible ? Maybe using LDAP ?

Ruby on Rails is also tempting, but I'm not clear as to how much it is supported and how long it will last.

I do need to find a solution for Mobile App Development, so if you have any input please let me know. Some of the mobile app frameworks I've heard of are Sencha Touch and jQuery Mobile.

I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts. Please provide any thoughts you may have.

Thanks,

Jason
jd99
<h6>

Return to Help & Advice