These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:12 pm Advanced search

CSS3 Slideshow with background videos

If you are stuck or have questions regarding HTML or other Web technologies, ask your questions here. No question too dumb!

CSS3 Slideshow with background videos

Postby Gazou » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:00 pm

Hello, i would like to apologize myself if my translations looks bad cause english is not my birth language so 'ill do my best explaining you what i'm looking for. :D
Something else, I'm a begginner :!: :? i got some notion of Html and CSS coding but not enough i guess :roll:

I'm actually working on a HTML5/CSS3 project which requires a simple framework of a website :
The goal is to set up a slideshow really close to that kind of : www.ultranoir.com/ with videos at every slide as background.
I wished to know if could do this without Javascripts and if someone could teach me how to do this :wink:
I've almost achieved the main background video :)

Thanks for any reply hope to see you soon guys! :wink:
Gazou
<h6>

Re: CSS3 Slideshow with background videos

Postby JAB Creations » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:46 am

Hello Gazou,

You'll want to seriously look in to CSS3 animations, CSS3 transitions may add a nice polish as well though they should not be necessary.

CSS3 animations are supported in Chrome 4.0+, Firefox 5.0+ and Safari 4.0+. Support in Internet Explorer 10 has not been announced though transitions were demonstrated early on though they won't get the job done nor are they even available in current preview builds of IE10. Unfortunately I don't know when support will be added to Opera though thankfully when it's announced it won't take ages for it to land in a stable build.

So you should be able to do this without JavaScript in some browsers though to get it to work in all browsers you would have to use JavaScript.

If you will use JavaScript I highly recommend staying away from frameworks as they lead you away from coding real and reliable JavaScript, produce a lot of overhead, reduce performance and are much less reliable than using real JavaScript as they overwhelming tend to rely on unreliable proprietary methods such as innerHTML.

I hope this answers your question? :)
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby Gazou » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:01 am

Hello and thanks for your quick answer,
As you say i must use js to make it fully compatible with any browser :? so i did it and it worked, got several videos in a js slider but i just got a last problem the video is no longer a background video :|
But i'll try my best resolving that :wink:
I'll be back if anything goes wrong again or if i can't solve that :arrow:
Thank you again for your post.
Bye :D
(i apologize again for any sentence syntax errors, i'm not using any trad device :wink: )
Gazou
<h6>

Postby JAB Creations » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:16 pm

You can emulate videos as being a background if you put them in a divisible element and then position another divisible element over the video specific divisible element. Then put both of those divisible elements inside a parent divisible element and use that as the slider div you move around. :)
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby zcorpan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:07 pm

WTF is a divisible element? :?: :lol:
zcorpan
<article>

Postby JAB Creations » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:10 am

zcorpan wrote:WTF is a divisible element? :?: :lol:

'div' is short for divisible. :P
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby zcorpan » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:07 am

I thought it was short for "division".
zcorpan
<article>

Postby JAB Creations » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:16 am

Really? Hm...I did search a bit...must have been a term I picked up way back. Now you have me curious about how far back we can find out what the abbreviation is for... :lol:
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby zcorpan » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:03 pm

DIV elements can be used to structure HTML documents as a hierarchy of divisions.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32#div
zcorpan
<article>

Postby JAB Creations » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:28 pm

I stand corrected, thank you. :)
JAB Creations
<aside>

Return to Help & Advice