These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:12 pm Advanced search

Browser Caching

If you are stuck or have questions regarding HTML or other Web technologies, ask your questions here. No question too dumb!

Browser Caching

Postby kvieira90 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:07 pm

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my website with my HTML/CSS. Every time I update, the user has to hard reset the page to see the changes. I have tried the <...style.css?v2..V3...etc.>. I have also tried the onload = window.reload() trick. Both have not helped. I'm not sure what Im doing wrong but Im sure someone out there will have a simple solution. The site url is http://www.bellaconsultingandevents.com.
kvieira90
<h6>

Re: Browser Caching

Postby JAB Creations » Wed May 02, 2012 8:17 pm

It sounds like your cache is hard set. You should set the cache life to something reasonably short such as an hour or so if you make frequent changes. If you're not then upwards of a day or more. Ignore web designer tools in browsers that suggest ludicrous lengths of time as a minimum, the people building those probably have small websites that they never update ever if they have any to begin with.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Re: Browser Caching

Postby kvieira90 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Thanks. I ended up using php to set the cache date so if they load past that date it refreshes the cache and reloads the page to the most recent. Im also going to add code like you advised with a 3 minute life time.
kvieira90
<h6>

Return to Help & Advice