These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:12 pm Advanced search

scrolling on touch devices

If you are stuck or have questions regarding HTML or other Web technologies, ask your questions here. No question too dumb!

scrolling on touch devices

Postby tethbur » Fri May 04, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi

please view http://www.minkyproductions.com and select Commericals... once its loaded, you will see three thumbs down the
far right, pass the mouse over these towards the bottom, and scrolling will begin. The scrolling is controlled by the
position of the mouse, up and down the 'thumbs area'!

BUT... how do I get this to work with touch screen devices. On an ipad for instance, no scrolling happens and you can
only ever choose the top three thumbs that are viewable - how would I handle this on an tablet or mobile touch screen device.? Is there some js library that does this?

What is the best practice for this kind of interaction. I would like to keep the auto-scrolling, but even if I have to introduce buttons for touch devices then I will do so, but is this how this would best be done.

thanks
Frank

ps this may have gone in twice - it didn't show up first time!
tethbur
<h6>

Re: scrolling on touch devices

Postby BlueBoden » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:30 am

I wouldn't personally care to much about such devices, but why not throw in a noscript like functionality, to remove the scrolling entirely if the device does not support it?

I am not going to look at your code, but i am almost sure that these devices should support setTimeout, using setTimeout and css positioning combined with overflow:hidden; for the container, it should be possible to create same effect. Not sure if that is how you are doing it currently.

Check your statistics, it most likely is not worth the effort to target these devices specifically. As far as i am concerned, if something doesn't work on handheld devices, it must be the developers of such devices who is to fix it. We have more then enough work getting things to work in desktop browsers.
BlueBoden
<h4>

Return to Help & Advice