These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:12 pm Advanced search

Value of HTML5 Source Code

If you are stuck or have questions regarding HTML or other Web technologies, ask your questions here. No question too dumb!

Value of HTML5 Source Code

Postby DimLight » Wed May 16, 2012 9:22 pm

Quick question, I work for an online bankruptcy auction company and we are auctioning off source code from this game developer Fliptrack, Inc. (aka Moblying). I was wondering what the value of this source code could be? I can send a link of the printed directory via a personal message since I don't want this inquiry to seem like an advertisement. Any advice would be much appreciated if this has any value.
DimLight
<h6>

Re: Value of HTML5 Source Code

Postby JAB Creations » Fri May 18, 2012 2:11 pm

That is entirely subjective to a few points to consider...

1.) What is the demand for what that code does?

2.) What is the quality of that code? In example does it depend on frameworks, is yes then it's value is diminished, if no it's value is greater than most code in general.

3.) How complete is the code in regards to the stated goals?

4.) Is this code useful to anyone else?

Generally a software developer will make any where from $15 an hour minimum upwards to six digits for someone who is exceptionally capable.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby zcorpan » Wed May 23, 2012 7:54 am

JAB Creations wrote:2.) What is the quality of that code? In example does it depend on frameworks, is yes then it's value is diminished, if no it's value is greater than most code in general.

[citation needed]

I don't see how depending on frameworks implies anything about the quality one way or the other.
zcorpan
<article>

Postby zcorpan » Wed May 23, 2012 8:25 am

DimLight wrote:Quick question, I work for an online bankruptcy auction company and we are auctioning off source code from this game developer Fliptrack, Inc. (aka Moblying). I was wondering what the value of this source code could be?

I asked our (Opera's) game expert if he had any input, here's what he said:

Brand names or completed products that can be monetized further can have good value. Source code for incomplete products are mostly worth _very_ little. Game companies go belly up all the time and unless it's something exceptional it's not going to bring in a lot for whoever cleans up the mess. If it's the source code for a released and reasonably successful game, such that a company could consider making a clone or a sequel it could be worth more. A good game engine could potentially bring in _some_ money as well, but in general I think it's going to be pretty modest.

It's very hard to put an actual figure on the net worth of source code and even harder finding the right buyer.

HTH
zcorpan
<article>

Postby JAB Creations » Wed May 23, 2012 4:14 pm

Frameworks introduce two main issues, more dependencies which can quickly lead to code breaking as well as reduced performance by relying on other systems that start using resources before anything in the project has requested resources. Additionally if there is the concern about additional licensing, does the software require third party licenses for any reason?

I would ultimately go with what Z provided though. Ultimately it's about risk, does someone else want to pick up the project? If they have the money to buy it out then you're lucky. I think you're more likely to find success in finding someone capable though with little money who wants a chance to finish the development, I think having a contract where the code is released to a party with certain stipulations such as not selling it until it's finished though allowing them the chance to finish and share the profits. Best I suppose to go with someone with modest money to invest in finishing the development and again subjective to what the project is.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Return to Help & Advice