These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:04 pm Advanced search

Maps, Annotations and Geolocation

If you are stuck or have questions regarding HTML or other Web technologies, ask your questions here. No question too dumb!

Maps, Annotations and Geolocation

Postby peterjunsworth » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:25 pm

I am building a web app which will require annotating a map within a specified radius around a user selected area (suburb, city or zip).
I just wanted to reach out to get opinions on the best technology to utilize and experiences people have had.
I plan to deploy this across mobile devices so light weight would be great.

Thoughts so far:

Native (obj-c) - prefer not to if possible
Tile5 mobile mapping
Phone gap
HTML5 Geolocation

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
peterjunsworth
<h6>

Re: Maps, Annotations and Geolocation

Postby zcorpan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:05 pm

Geolocation doesn't help you with the "mapping", it just gives you the user's position.

If what you want to do is draw a circle on top of a map, I guess you could use SVG for that.
zcorpan
<article>

Re: Maps, Annotations and Geolocation

Postby peterjunsworth » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:33 pm

My wording in initial question was a little off and was really just asking about people experiences with development with mapping and annotating maps.

I have begun experimenting with the google maps API and seem to have hit a major issue with IOS6
In IOS6, and trying to obtain users location - you are not prompted for allowing permissions to current location, but instead just prompted with a 'permission denied' notice.

Reading up, it was suggested to add <meta content="yes" name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" /> after detecting IOS6 but this does not seem to have solved the issue.

This issue must be due to the release of Apple's own mapping solution - anyone got a work around?
peterjunsworth
<h6>

Return to Help & Advice