These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:04 pm Advanced search

Audio object not working with IE 9

If you are stuck or have questions regarding HTML or other Web technologies, ask your questions here. No question too dumb!

Audio object not working with IE 9

Postby shok » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:52 am

Here is my code where I use Audio object to play .wav sound:

Code: Select all
function playSounds() {
    var snd = new Audio("./alertbox/operator.wav");
    snd.play();
}

This function works perfect in Opera and Firefox when I press the button. But it does not make any sound when I use it in IE9.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue?
shok
<h6>

Re: Audio object not working with IE 9

Postby zcorpan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:16 pm

IIRC IE9 doesn't support WAV. File a bug on IE.
zcorpan
<article>

Postby shok » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:36 pm

zcorpan wrote:IIRC IE9 doesn't support WAV. File a bug on IE.

I tried to convert it to mp3 format, but still it's not working in IE9. Any suggestions how to overcome this?
shok
<h6>

Postby JAB Creations » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:00 pm

First for a quick overview of supported codecs in browsers...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_audio

Secondly it's important that you understand that Microsoft politically polarizes everything for their corporate gain. Even if Internet Explorer was actually the most standards compliant browser it's still important to make it clear you don't use the big blue E for browsing the web, ever. They are part of the MPEG-LA patent pool (patent trolls) who are trying to push the license burdenered H.264 codec down everyone's throats so they can charge people for the format, thus they along with Apple (Safari browser) intentionally to not support free and thus standard codecs. They use the lame excuse of "works if the user installs the codec" as an excuse to suggest they are open to competition however it only emphasizes their anti-competitive intentions. Additionally both the W3 and WHATWG have refused to enforce an open codecs policy so it's important to remember that we web designers and web developers ultimately set the trend for what becomes standard when even the standards bodies fail to live up to the definition of an institution.

Lastly you're going to have to determine the browser support and then serve the best codec version of the sound you wish to play. Make sure that if you find it necessary to support license burdened codecs that you detect them after you detect support for standard/open codecs.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby zcorpan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:38 pm

Do you have a link?
zcorpan
<article>

Return to Help & Advice