These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:04 pm Advanced search

Creating a HTML5 Twitter web app..

If you are stuck or have questions regarding HTML or other Web technologies, ask your questions here. No question too dumb!

Creating a HTML5 Twitter web app..

Postby Spirit » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new here :)

I have some troubles right now while trying to do a small project. I was asked to create an HTML web app that adds short text entries (including the Send button), with sort and search options. It should also display the previous entries (the web app would be kinda like a small twitter version). Problem is that I have no idea of how or where to start, it should be done only with HTML and CSS. Does anyone have any advice or hint I could use? What would the the approach for an app like this?

Thanks! Hope someone can help me!
Spirit
<h6>

Re: Creating a HTML5 Twitter web app..

Postby zcorpan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:28 am

Should it be possible to send tweets and for other people to view those tweets? If so, you'll need a server side component that stores the tweets (probably in a database). If you're only supposed to use HTML and CSS, it seems to me it would be a dummy app where you can only see your own tweets.
zcorpan
<article>

Postby Spirit » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:28 pm

Hey Zcorpan! Thanks for your reply! Yeah, that's what I think so too. No databases for this, only HTML and CSS, so, I'd be able to see only my tweets. Do you know what approach should I follow? Hints or something?

Thanks again!
Spirit
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:25 pm

For storing the tweets client side, there are several approaches. If you don't mind the tweets going away when you reload the page, you can just insert the submitted data to the DOM with javascript. If you want them to be retained on reload, you need to store them using localStorage or indexedDB. localStorage is simple, is widely supported, and is probably what I'd use here. indexedDB is a more powerful API and is async, but harder to grasp and is less widely supported(you probably have to use a polyfill if you want cross-browser support).
zcorpan
<article>

Postby Spirit » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Ooooh.. hmmm.. I guess I have an idea now using localStorage. They told me only HTML/CSS, but as you said, I guess JavaScript is also necessary.. I'll try with that approach, thanks a lot Zcorpan!

It should also have the possibility to sort and search the entries by keywords, hashtags and date. Any approach for that?
Spirit
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:52 am

Spirit wrote:It should also have the possibility to sort and search the entries by keywords, hashtags and date. Any approach for that?

If you're not supposed to use JS for this, I think you have to be amazingly genius to pull it off with CSS tricks. :) That said, you can probably find tips for how to accomplish this using your favorite search engine (or try to think of possible solutions yourself, maybe that's the idea?).
zcorpan
<article>

Postby Spirit » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:29 pm

Probably I think... Well, I have thought in some solutions! :D I'll be working on this asap! thanks a lot for your help!! :)
Spirit
<h6>

Return to Help & Advice