These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:03 pm Advanced search

IE/Quicktime bug concerning PNG in an object element

Here you can discuss stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere; anything you want really.

IE/Quicktime bug concerning PNG in an object element

Postby ahagen » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:08 am

Does anyone know of a workaround to the following bug?

For several years now, IE and Quicktime have interacted in a peculiar way on some Windows machines. The Quicktime plugin is often somehow set to handle PNG images that are served from an object element. When this happens, the PNG is displayed, but is displayed in a box with visible borders, and is often the wrong size. It screws up a web design.

Code to reproduce the problem:

Code: Select all
<object type="image/png" data="/image.png" height="100" width="100">
alternate text
</object>

Here is another report of the bug, and a solution. That solution, however, requires access to the computer. I wish there was a disablequicktime="true" attribute or something that IE could use.

Quicktime does not add anything to the UA string, so that isn't any help.

Otherwise, PNGs in object elements are much less valuable, and probably should be avoided entirely, at least for IE.

Does anyone know of a way in HTML or CSS to bypass this problem in IE/Quicktime. Does anyone know if it is still present in IE 9?

Thanks.
ahagen
<h5>

Postby zcorpan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:10 pm

You might be able to add a classid="..." attribute to tell IE to use ...not quicktime. http://intranation.com/test-cases/object-vs-iframe/ says which string to use for an iframe, but I don't know what to use for a PNG image (if at all possible).
zcorpan
<article>

Re: IE/Quicktime bug concerning PNG in an object element

Postby Alex001 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:17 am

I have seen this demonstration work in IE, but using QuickTime to display
Alex001
<h6>

Return to Off Topic