These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:04 pm Advanced search

UA Bans

Here you can discuss stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere; anything you want really.

UA Bans

Postby nog_lorp » Mon May 17, 2010 9:46 am

I think it is time to start expecting some degree of conformity from web users. To this end, I would like to create a Basic Conformance Standard, according to which web servers could be configured to serve clients a page urging them to upgrade to a browser released in the last n years, for the sake of their own computer's security and the collective sanity of the world.

Write such a standard, giving implementation details, and the server modules will come implementing it. And then the web admins can make their choice. Elements of this are already in effect, but a standardized effort would be of great help.
nog_lorp
<h6>

Postby JAB Creations » Mon May 17, 2010 11:55 am

I'm just going to answer this with a couple of screen shots of statistics that I can't seem to figure out how to find again...

The problem is essentially home users are updating their browsers are a slow rate however corporations that spent money on building and using proprietary Internet Explorer scripting are in an industry where profit takes precedence over everything else including modernization.

Expect IE6 to have that last finger clutching the edge of the cliff much longer then any other browser and you can bet your money that IE7 will be a repeat of IE6 although to a somewhat thankfully diminished degree.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby nog_lorp » Mon May 17, 2010 10:54 pm

Well, I suppose the problem isn't as bad as I suspected anyways.
nog_lorp
<h6>

Return to Off Topic