These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:03 pm Advanced search

Introductions

Here you can discuss stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere; anything you want really.

Introductions

Postby Cerbera » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:47 am

Who are you?

I'm Ben Millard (aka Cerbera). My day job is making templates in HTML (sometimes xHTML) and CSS from design concept pictures made by trendy people. Clever people (i.e. not me) turn these templates into dynamic websites.

I like HTML. I occasionally get confused about what the best way to mark something up would be. Discussing ways to make HTML's semantics better suit everyday uses is what brought me to this forum.

Now it's your turn. 8)
Cerbera
<h4>

Postby TrevorBramble » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:44 pm

Excellent thread idea for this nascent forum.

My name is ...not exceptionally well-hidden. =^)

I spend the majority of my time working with server-side scripting languages (mostly PHP these days, and Ruby/Rails), but I have a very strong interest and commitment to the markup side of things as well.

I'm following the WHATWG activities for a couple of rather concise reasons:

1. I don't want to be blindsided by the differences in HTML5 when it comes time to migrate.
2. Watching the careful analysis and re-implementation of HTML helps deepen my understanding of it, and regardless of whether I move to 5 (or when) it can help me to make better use of current standards.

More nebulously, I find it interesting to follow this process, and keeping informed helps me to be a knowledgeable advocate of standards-based development.
TrevorBramble
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:48 pm

I'm Simon Pieters. Born in Sweden but lived in the Netherlands for five years, then moved back to Sweden. I work for Opera Software. I also spend some time doing front-end web development and following the HTML5 effort, and lurking around in some forums and mailing lists.
Last edited by zcorpan on Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zcorpan
<article>

Postby anne » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:01 pm

I'm Anne van Kesteren. I represent Opera Software ASA at some W3C Working Groups while studying in the Netherlands. (This sort of works out most of the time fortunately.)

I also contribute time to HTML5 by reviewing, writing tests and occasionally proposals. Oh, and by advocating it I guess.

More about me: http://annevankesteren.nl/about
anne
<h4>

Postby crazybat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:00 pm

Hi, I'm Marco Battilana from Surrey BC, Canada.

I'm currently a Web Designer at the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) - A crown corporation that is the sole provider of basic car insurance. My main duties are to consult on/create/maintain the company's Intranet. As well, I perform graphic/identity/UI/front-end design for the Intranet's web sites and web applications.

I am also a Web Standards Consultant/CEO for my own company Crazy Bat Designs where I help to promote web and accessibility standards to anyone interested, as well as perform the usual graphic/identity/UI/front-end design for web sites and web applications.

The reason why I am here is that I want to become more familiar with HTML5 as well as XHTML2. More importantly, I want to get a better understanding of what is being proposed, the main differences between the two directions, and hopefully meet some new people. I already know some of you by your reputation :)

Aside from this, I'm a self-confessed chocoholic and I perform a form of ashtanga yoga about 3 to 4 times a week. I like to read science fiction and fantasy books (as real life can be boring sometimes) and I hope to race in the Dakar rally someday. I have no racing experience at this time, but it doesn't hurt to dream :)
crazybat
<h6>

Postby SVEN » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:46 pm

Hi,
I am Sven E Olsson living in the south of Sweden. I am a Mac freeak and written SEEdit THE XHTML EDITOR FOR MACINTOSH.... And for a few days ago one of my users written to me and ask about XHTML5. And as you understand i get some hiccups and begin to google..

So im am a really newbie on this.. only a few hours.. And I already get my first problems.. validate a simple 6-lines document..
http://www.seedit.info/xhtml5.html

The checker says no encodings.. but i have a meta tag with UTF-8..

Looking forward to learn more...
Regards from Sweden,
Sven E
SVEN
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:09 am

SVEN wrote:So im am a really newbie on this.. only a few hours.. And I already get my first problems.. validate a simple 6-lines document..
http://www.seedit.info/xhtml5.html

The checker says no encodings.. but i have a meta tag with UTF-8..

Your document is correct HTML5. It's just that the conformance checker hasn't been updated to support <meta charset> yet.

An alternative way to specify character encoding is to use the HTTP Content-Type header instead of a <meta> element.

HTH,
zcorpan
<article>

Postby icaaq » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:39 pm

Hi,

I'm Isac Lagerblad (fm. Backlund). I live in Sweden, Dalecarlia but i work in Stockholm as a frontend-developer at Creuna. I mainly develop (x)html, css and js all day long with a lot of accessibility and usability in mind.

I have been into standard developing for some years now and I attend to every geekmeet I can for lots of semantic/sourceorder/document outline/ discussions and of course free beer and pizza.

Cheers
icaaq
<h6>

Postby MikeFoster » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:19 pm

Hi friends,

I'm Mike Foster from Alabama, USA. By trade I'm a firmware developer for Phoenix Contact. For the past 7 or 8 years cross-browser Javascript has been a "hobby" of mine. I'm very interested in accessible, standards-compliant web development - and with how Javascript can be used unobtrusively to provide page enhancements within that context.
Last edited by MikeFoster on Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeFoster
<h6>

Postby Dashiva » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:33 pm

Hello,

I'm Magnus Kristiansen from Norway. Currently on the last year of a Master's Degree in telemathics, but have been doing web apps work for Opera Software the two last summers.

My main interest in the web area is javascript, but I'm picky enough to care about semantic markup and other "minor" details. I also study Japanese for fun and profit. Mostly fun.
Dashiva
<h6>

Postby Artem85 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:12 pm

I am student, from ukraine. Kiev. study at the KPI, electrical engenering
http://kudapoyti.com.ua
Artem85
<h6>

Postby Sander Aarts » Sat May 05, 2007 1:39 am

Hello,

My name is Sander Aarts. I work as a front-end developer in the Netherlands. I try to evangelize web standards and accessibility at my job and since I discovered unobtrusive JavaScript my love for JS has been revived again.

Although I prefer the strict notation of XHTML over the more loose HTML notation I'm very glad that (X)HTML is 'under construction' again. It's exciting to read the proposals.
Sander Aarts
<h5>

Postby Xano » Fri May 11, 2007 3:07 pm

Hello to all :)

I'm Bart Feenstra. Webdesign has been a hobby of mine for years now (In real life I'm a simple student). I'm thinking of starting my own company sometime this summer. In September I want to begin with a study that's about webdesign a bit too. I'm not a real HTML geek like Anne for example, just a curious newbie :)
Xano
<h6>

Postby bfrohs » Wed May 16, 2007 9:10 pm

Sweet thread btw :-D

I'm Brandon Frohs. I'm known as esgarrouth19 or esgar in a lot of online communities and forums. I'm 19 years old and I got interested in website design approx. 5 years ago (Spring 2002). I was only in 8th grade then, so I've pretty much grown up as a web designer. I'm somehow pulling off working strictly as a freelancer, even at my age. I mainly use XHTML 1.1, but I've been using HTML 4.01 a lot lately due to a recently acquired contract with a company out-of-state. I've also gotten into AJAX recently simply for a calendar that could be changed without too much JavaScript and without a new page loading each time. As for back-end, I'm strictly a PHP programmer.

I just recently learned of (X)HTML 5. I guess it's just been too long since I've been away from a text editor long enough to learn any of the recent changes. Either way, it caught my attention immediately and I want to help in any way possible. I'm glad someone decided to expand upon both HTML and (X)HTML. Both are long overdue for a much-needed update.
bfrohs
<h4>

RE: Introductions

Postby mskinner » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:29 am

do'h
Last edited by mskinner on Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mskinner
<h2>

Next

Return to Off Topic