These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:06 pm Advanced search

@media consistency

Do you think the HTML spec should do something differently? You can discuss spec feedback here, but you should send it to the WHATWG mailing list or file a bug in the W3C bugzilla for it to be considered.

@media consistency

Postby pavpanchekha » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:38 pm

Media descriptors in (X)HTML are currently defined as a comma-separated list. However, this is inconsistent with other list attributes in (X)HTML, such as @class, @rel (such as in links) and others. @media is defined as comma-separated in order to stay consistent with CSS, which was the origin of the attribute. However, this renders it strange to (X)HTML developers. This should be fixed by making @media space-separated. Note that constructs such as "print and resolution > 90dpi" can easily be converted to "print[resolution>90dpi]", which has the same effect but is consistent with other (X)HTML attributes.

What is the problem you are trying to solve?
I am trying to make (X)HTML more consistent and thus easier to write for developers.

What is the feature you are suggesting to help solve it?
A small change to the @media attribute (such as of <link>s and <style>s) that would make it space, not comma, separated.

What is the processing model for that feature, including error handling?
This would function in the same way as other attributes. Its a small change and should not mean any significant change to the processing model.

Why do you think browsers would implement this feature?
Many browsers already recognize space-separated lists for the @media attribute.

Why do you think authors would use this feature?
This section doesn't really apply to my proposal.

What evidence is there that this feature is desparately needed?
I myself have often made mistakes based on this inconistency. It is easy to imagine that while this doesn't necessarily cause mistakes often, its a pain to remember and an annoying inconsistency.
pavpanchekha
<h6>

Postby anne » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:02 am

This would be completely incompatible with the already deployed Media Queries http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/ so I think this is not feasible to do.
anne
<h4>

Return to Feedback on the Specs