These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:06 pm Advanced search

Setting the sound balance of a video and other settings

Do you think the HTML spec should do something differently? You can discuss spec feedback here, but you should send it to the WHATWG mailing list or file a bug in the W3C bugzilla for it to be considered.

Setting the sound balance of a video and other settings

Postby pvk » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:30 pm

As soon as the player is getting in charge of the media element (video or audio), one expect from it a bit more than just playing or pausing them
Here are some example of actions I would expect to see in the javascript API :

setting the sound balance
setting the sound volume
setting the rate (normal = 1, 0.2 = slow motion, 2 = twice faster, -1 = rewind, -10 = quite a fast rewind...)
going to any frame (setting the current frame trough a timecode like 00:03:26:12
: hh:mn:ss:frameNumber)

Similarly, one could expect to receive various event related to the beaviour of the player : when the end of the video is reched, when th eloading of the video is progressing or is done, when the video stated, paused or changed rate ....
pvk
<h6>

Re: Setting the sound balance of a video and other settings

Postby zcorpan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:19 pm

pvk wrote:As soon as the player is getting in charge of the media element (video or audio), one expect from it a bit more than just playing or pausing them

What's the use case for this?
pvk wrote:setting the sound volume
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/cu ... tml#volume
pvk wrote:setting the rate (normal = 1, 0.2 = slow motion, 2 = twice faster, -1 = rewind, -10 = quite a fast rewind...)
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/cu ... aybackrate
pvk wrote:going to any frame (setting the current frame trough a timecode like 00:03:26:12
: hh:mn:ss:frameNumber)
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/cu ... urrenttime

pvk wrote:Similarly, one could expect to receive various event related to the beaviour of the player : when the end of the video is reched, when th eloading of the video is progressing or is done, when the video stated, paused or changed rate ....
I think all of this is supported in the spec. Please check and see if there's something missing. :)
zcorpan
<article>

Re: Setting the sound balance of a video and other settings

Postby pvk » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:21 am

zcorpan wrote:
pvk wrote:As soon as the player is getting in charge of the media element (video or audio), one expect from it a bit more than just playing or pausing them

What's the use case for this?

Sorry for the late follow up...

Use case for setting the sound balance ?

First a straight one : you are playing some stereoscopique sound and you want to adjust its balance (There must be some reason why this is possible on the QuickTime player, isn't it ?). You may for instance want to use that setting to reencode the sound on the server, correctly balanced.

Then a very precise case I am indeed confronted with and for which I haven't yet found any solution : one of my client has media with two sound tracks associated with a video. One is the normal sound track and the second is the speaking clock used to index the video. The issue is that thoses two tracks are randomly organised on the left or right side of a stereoscopic media. At playing time, the user should be able to shut down the speaking clock track by setting the sound balance accordingly.
pvk
<h6>

Return to Feedback on the Specs