These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:06 pm Advanced search

<mark> element proposal of removal

Do you think the HTML spec should do something differently? You can discuss spec feedback here, but you should send it to the WHATWG mailing list or file a bug in the W3C bugzilla for it to be considered.

<mark> element proposal of removal

Postby Pacoup » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:15 pm

HTML 5 <mark> element spec

Reffering to the aforementionned link, I propose we eliminate the <mark> element from the spec. As other presentational tags have been eliminated to be replaced by CSS, I propose <mark>'s function to be handled by CSS 3 instead.

However, the other side of the medal is that <mark> could largely be considered of the same value as <b> or <i>, which are retained. Considering content seperation, <em> and <strong> tag, as they define semantics, should be retained, <b> and <i> should be deprecated as in XHTML 2 (while still being required to be interpreted by UAs as HTML 5 states it does).

Another thing, anyone knows why this element has been renamed to <mark> instead of <m>? I thought <m> was better and more in line with <b> and <i>.

So, besides making them work for backwards compatibility, why are we keeping presentational tags (as compliant) that don't have to do with semantics?
Pacoup
<h5>

Postby zcorpan » Wed May 27, 2009 5:49 pm

<mark> is not presentational. It has the semantic that it marks or highlights a piece of text, for instance in search results or in a quote.
zcorpan
<article>

Return to Feedback on the Specs