These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:06 pm Advanced search

a new content-flow element for non-related stuffs

Do you think the HTML spec should do something differently? You can discuss spec feedback here, but you should send it to the WHATWG mailing list or file a bug in the W3C bugzilla for it to be considered.

a new content-flow element for non-related stuffs

Postby estarapapax » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:43 pm

I'm currently creating a website and I decided to use html 5 in it. I used section, article, header, nav, aside and footer. But I got stuck in one problem. Where should I put the advertisements? These are totally unrelated to my articles. I originally thought that aside may suffice, but W3.org defines it as for "tangentially related" contents (and w3schools.com says it is for stand-alone but related contents). If were going to follow the philosophy behind these new elements, I think it's better to create a new element for non-related contents or we can just change the definition of aside.
estarapapax
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Wed May 27, 2009 5:46 pm

It's pointless to have dedicated markup for ads because no-one would use it since it would be too easy to block ads.
zcorpan
<article>

Postby lyosha » Thu May 28, 2009 8:06 pm

An ad can go in any section of a web page, so that's another reason why it's pointless to define an ad space.

On the other hand, I could go for <adspace>...

User javascript:
Code: Select all
ads = document.getElementsByTagName('adspace');
for (adspace in ads) {
  ads[adspace].parentNode.removeChild(ads[adspace]);
}

JK
lyosha
<h3>

Return to Feedback on the Specs