These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:06 pm Advanced search

Block element for meta info

Do you think the HTML spec should do something differently? You can discuss spec feedback here, but you should send it to the WHATWG mailing list or file a bug in the W3C bugzilla for it to be considered.

Block element for meta info

Postby peroyomas » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:29 pm

I have not read the spec nor forum threads so exhaustively so I may have missed something, but I think that will be useful to add a block element to enclose the "meta data" that comes along the news articles or the blog posts (like author, date and tags), since the block itself tends to be styled differently from the rest of the content.
peroyomas
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:17 pm

I think the first example is covered by <header>:

Code: Select all
<header>
<h1>India plans reform school for monkeys</h1>
<p>Posted by ...</p>
</header>
zcorpan
<article>

Postby peroyomas » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:35 pm

Yeah, but like I said in another thread, there is a difference in formatting when one refers to a drop deck or short paragraph with an abstract or preface for the article and a byline, which is reserved for the author, date and stuff. Somewhat makes sense to have them between paragraph tags within the header, but I think it may be better if differentiated clearly—and I think the drop deck makes more sense as a generic paragraph, so a different treatment may be done for the byline.
peroyomas
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:08 am

If you just want different styling, can't you use the class attribute?
zcorpan
<article>

Postby peroyomas » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:11 pm

That's what I have been doing all the time, but I think that due to the extended use as looking different from the rest of the header I think that semantically it should have some special tag, much like there are a lot of inline tags for specific stuff and block elements like the header tag itself. The tag isn't supposed to have and default look, but to be an standard element to style with CSS. If a proper tag is not possible and someone propose a microformats-like thing to markup article blocks in an standard way it may be good too. Also, some languages like Latex use similar tags—at least for the abstract paragraph.
peroyomas
<h6>

Return to Feedback on the Specs