These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:06 pm Advanced search

Seeking in media

Do you think the HTML spec should do something differently? You can discuss spec feedback here, but you should send it to the WHATWG mailing list or file a bug in the W3C bugzilla for it to be considered.

Seeking in media

Postby Pion » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:24 am

I haven't managed to find an explaination on why the "start" and "end" properties was removed from the <audio> and <video> tags...

It is very useful to be able to seek in an audio (or video) file, typically from a javascript. I've got synchronization between speech in an audio book and text on the webpage in mind, but I'm sure there are plenty of other uses.

I'd appreciate it if anyone who knows could explain it to me or refer me to an explaination.
Pion
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:20 pm

I think they were replaced with fragment identifiers. They can be set with javascript. Seeking is normally done by setting currentTime.
zcorpan
<article>

Postby Pion » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:33 pm

Ok.

But then again, under [url="http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#media-element"]"4.8.10.6 Offsets into the media resource"[/url] it says that currentTime is "being considered for removal"...
Pion
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:48 pm

I think that annotation was intended for start="" and end="" etc, that were dropped before. Fixed the annotation.
zcorpan
<article>

Return to Feedback on the Specs