These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:06 pm Advanced search

More on Caching

Do you think the HTML spec should do something differently? You can discuss spec feedback here, but you should send it to the WHATWG mailing list or file a bug in the W3C bugzilla for it to be considered.

More on Caching

Postby Edified » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:24 am

How about local persistent cross site javascript/css cache browser that validate based on signature? Something like
Code: Select all
<script type="text/javascript" src="/scripts/jquery-min-1.3.3.js?v=132" local="com.jquery.min.133.js" sig="eaa41fbd734596533e98e557eae39b8b" />

The browser comes with copies of commonly used libraries or has access to a repository or downloads them from anywhere and validates sigs, using the same code where sigs match.

Beyond that it would be really nice is CACHE MANIFEST could be used to cache resources without caching the page itself- really useful for us international bloggers operating on slow connections. Then we could use the HTML5 cache to make resources persistent while other page content behaves normally. For one this it the only reason Wordpress is stuck using Google Gears rather than a plain jane HTML5 cache for their "turbo mode" (see here: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7262)

Love to get feedback,
Ed
Edified
<h6>

Details...

Postby Edified » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:16 am

<script type="text/javascript" src="/scripts/jquery-min-1.3.3.js?v=132" local="com.jquery.min.133.js" sig="eaa41fbd734596533e98e557eae39b8b" />

What is the problem you are trying to solve?
I have to load jquery, et al, all the freaking time :)

What is the feature you are suggesting to help solve it?
Signature validated tag support for persistent cache of commonly used scripts, css etc

What is the processing model for that feature, including error handling?
I haven't given much thought to attribute names but essentially within any tag with a src the attribute local is optional and specifies a script using a common naming convention (I used reverse DNS but obviously this can be improved). The browser checks for the local item in its library, if id doesn't find it it uses the src and optionally caches it with the local name as written in the tag. The sig attribute optionally specifies a unique signature. This signature (I just used an MD5 but I'm sure there's better options?) MUST be validated if it is specified- this is true whether the resource was loaded from local (which would get priority) or src. If the sig doesn't match whichever resource is loaded then the script fails to load.

Browsers could handle how the cache is maintained but one model might be a local repository in the distribution that includes the most common scripts. The repository may contain multiple script versions as long as each has a unique name and sig. It might only when the browser is updates as part of the normal upgrade procedure.

Another option is a remote repository that the browser can sync with when it encounters a script id doesn't know about. Combine this with the previous.

Still another option (my vote) is to cache every script that has local declared, calculating it's sig on the way into the cache. The user has an option to discard scripts after [quit, 30 days, year, never]. Each script has a last-use timestamp which is reset every time the script is called by a tag. Additionally the cache could optionally include the first-load timestamp for the script and an incremented, thus allowing the average frequency of a scripts use to be calculated. When the last-use delta now exceeds the user limit the script is discarded. This should be pretty safe if a good signing method is used. If the cache fills if could drop the least frequently used scrips or the earliest last-use. Comments?

Why do you think browsers would implement this feature?
Everyone wants to be faster these days. This will eliminate css and js load time from the equation for all popular sites as well as sites that use the same scripts (they are many). Plus it's a pretty dang simple idea with blessedly simple implementation.

Why do you think authors would use this feature?
It saves on bandwidth, is copy-pastable and easier to maintain than any other cache mechanism. It's also a happy thing when their site loads faster and uses less bandwidth and fewer server resources.

What evidence is there that this feature is desparately needed?
The polar ice caps are melting j/k. No seriously, what's the point of loading the same file from different servers over and over and over. This way we don't even need to query http to see if it's 304. If the sig matches, use the local copy.
Edified
<h6>

VS Google ajaxlibs

Postby Edified » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:56 am

Over in IRC a user made the suggestion that we settle for code.google.com/apis/ajaxlibs/, which is definitely the right track. I'll take just a second to outline why this is different...
  • It's not just limited to scripts that google maintains
  • Adjusts to user habits and the rapidly changing terrain of the web, making everything faster, no third partys needed
  • I can get jquery out of google's cache, I can't get any common jquery plugs- apply this broadly, not just to jquery
  • The google solution still sends an http request to validate the cache file (if I'm not mistaken, returning a HTTP 304) forfeiting user habits/privacy to google
  • If you're behind anything that blocks google, you're sol
  • We solve these problems by allowing a local object to supercede, rather than replace the src attribute, much like a normal cache but with broader application and without having to validate the object with the server over and over.
  • Also allows for things like css to be reused on multiple sites, for instance on wordpress.com, bloggers etc

Hope that gives you some more to pick at :)
Edified
<h6>

Other option

Postby Edified » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:33 pm

Here's an option if we don't want to create too many more attributes:

<script type="text/javascript" src="/foo/bar/com.jquery.min.133.js" sig="eaa41fbd734596533e98e557eae39b8b" />

In this example the local name is implicit in the src attribute as "com.jquery.min.133.js". This is arbitrary but both the local name and sig must match to avoid loading the resource over the network.
Edified
<h6>

Local Cache

Postby Edified » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:43 am

Since this is generating soooo much buzz in the community I'll chime in again...

This process could be used as a novel cacheing system for any resource. Rather then sending a ton of requests to a server or waiting for cache expiries any tag with a src attribute could contain a signature which could validate the local resource.

This reduces server and connection loads as the browser can do cache validity checks even without the network.

Further, we no longer have to rely on long cache header expiry dates when the actual temporal validity of the resource isn't known at the time of publication. This enables LONG cache durations (even years) for commonly used resources without ever asking the server directly- simply validating the cache against the signature in the requesting document.

Even without cross-site-common-resource capabilities there's plenty of reasons to include a signature attribute.
Edified
<h6>

Postby seraulu1 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:30 am

Thanks for your good advice :)
seraulu1
<h6>

Return to Feedback on the Specs