These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:06 pm Advanced search

Simplifying the Markup

Do you think the HTML spec should do something differently? You can discuss spec feedback here, but you should send it to the WHATWG mailing list or file a bug in the W3C bugzilla for it to be considered.

Simplifying the Markup

Postby ljuwaidah » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:38 pm

Hello,

This is a general suggestion for now, if it gets support by many people I'll get into the details, help you decide on the details, work on it full-time, or just step out and let you handle it.

The concept is simple: Have one way to do something, and ONLY one way.

For example, the <nav> tag? Just use a div with a role, or a UL with a role, maybe set some standard roles to be used in the role attribute.

That's just an example, but you get the idea.

God bless :)
ljuwaidah
<h6>

Re: Simplifying the Markup

Postby valkyr » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:21 am

ljuwaidah wrote:maybe set some standard roles to be used in the role attribute.

There are already standard role attribute values.
valkyr
<h5>

Re: Simplifying the Markup

Postby valkyr » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:48 am

Of course I'm not sure how relevant the document linked to above is to HTML5, since it's by the XHTML2 WG.

However...

ljuwaidah wrote:The concept is simple: Have one way to do something, and ONLY one way.

I believe that's the whole idea of a richer set of elements. Instead of navigation possibly existing within...

<div id="navigation">
<div class="navigation">
<div id="nav">
<div class="nav">
<div id="main-navigation">

<nav> gives us an unified element. And since it exists as an element in its own right, specifically for the purpose of marking up navigation, it is therefore the soundest element in semantic terms to use in that situation, and the only way explicitly defined as such in the HTML5 specification. It's also simpler :

<div role=navigation>

<nav>
valkyr
<h5>

Return to Feedback on the Specs