These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:06 pm Advanced search

Mass end tag

Do you think the HTML spec should do something differently? You can discuss spec feedback here, but you should send it to the WHATWG mailing list or file a bug in the W3C bugzilla for it to be considered.

Mass end tag

Postby AMWJ » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:58 pm

I think there should be a mass end tag.
Code: Select all
</div td tr table div>
End tags don't have any other attributes, so there is no unclarity about it. Also </all> for the end of a document (although it does look slightly mismatched).
AMWJ
<h6>

Postby JAB Creations » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:04 pm

First and foremost there is no such thing as a "tag" in (X)HTML, they're called elements.

Secondly this is not XML friendly at all as this presume you have an open and invalid element named "div td tr table div". I'm 100% certain that elements can not have spaces in their names since that space would delegate the second string as an attribute (<element_name attribute="value" />).

Since most code I've seen in general is mesh I would highly advise working on cleaning up the white space of your code. In example I highly advise against using tabs in place of spaces when indenting elements as some of the (X)HTML source code I've viewed on my 24 inch monitor has indented past the right side of my screen at 1920x1200 resolution!

Best practices ultimately are what you're after. :)
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby zcorpan » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:10 am

JAB Creations wrote:First and foremost there is no such thing as a "tag" in (X)HTML, they're called elements.
No. There are start tags and end tags. Elements consist of start tag, content, end tag (sometimes some tags can be omitted). XML also has so-called empty-element tags.

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/cu ... start-tags
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#d0e2480
zcorpan
<article>

Return to Feedback on the Specs