These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:03 pm Advanced search

<element/> tags

Do you think the HTML spec should do something differently? You can discuss spec feedback here, but you should send it to the WHATWG mailing list or file a bug in the W3C bugzilla for it to be considered.

<element/> tags

Postby PMB9 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:42 pm

Hello,

I want to have <element/> tags in HTML5 or later. Always if I want to use e.g. <progess value="4" max="20"/> it breaks the layout of my page. I think this would bring an interesting feature, known from XML. I know that this would be incompatible to previous html versions, but at some point in time you have to break compatibility in order to provide better comfort.
PMB9
<h3>

Re: <element/> tags

Postby zcorpan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:11 pm

PMB9 wrote:Hallo,

I want to have <element/> tags in HTML5 or later. Always if I want to use e.g. <progess value="4" max="20"/> it breaks the layout of my page. I think this would bring an interesting feature, known from XML. I know that this would be incompatible to previous html versions,
Indeed.

PMB9 wrote:but at some point in time you have to break compatibility in order to provide better comfort.

Nope. :)
zcorpan
<article>

Postby PMB9 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:45 pm

At least it currently works with some tags such as <input>.
PMB9
<h3>

Postby JAB Creations » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:12 pm

Those are called elements, a tag is only correctly referenced as the "end tag of an element" or the "beginning tag of an element". An example of correct reference... "In XHTML does an input element have an ending tag?" In the vast overwhelming majority of cases it's correct to reference an element as an element.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby zcorpan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:54 pm

AFAICT this thread is discussing tags, not elements.
zcorpan
<article>

Return to Feedback on the Specs