These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:06 pm Advanced search

Input type=range

Do you think the HTML spec should do something differently? You can discuss spec feedback here, but you should send it to the WHATWG mailing list or file a bug in the W3C bugzilla for it to be considered.

Input type=range

Postby DanMan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi. I'm Dan.

I just found out about the range type for the input element, and i like it thus far. But, as you might have guessed, i have an idea for it. Since images speak louder than words, check this out first: http://jqueryui.com/demos/slider/#range.

As you can see, there are two handles on the scale, which let you define the range. So, for example, you could have a list of products, and filter them, so only those within that range would be displayed.

Sure, you could realize that by just having 2 sliders, one for the min, and the other for the max value. Or could you even overlay them with absolute positioning? *makes a note*

Anyway, to me the JQuery thing represents a range slider more precisely than what we have in HTML5 right now. The current solution is basically just a different representation of a numerical input, not that of a range. In fact, you can't difine a range with it, but only choose a value from within a pre-defined range.

Now i'm not saying drop what you got and do the other thing. But wouldn't it make sense to rename what is there to "slider" and call the jquery thing "range" ?

Either that, or extend the current range type so you can have 2 sliders and really redefine the range, rather than the value.

What's your opinion?

edit: Well, after thinking some more, you could probably just put 2 range inputs next to each other, with one starting where the other left off, and there's your range slider. But you still wouldn't be able to select the lower third for example.
Last edited by DanMan on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanMan
<h6>

Postby JAB Creations » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:43 pm

A "slider" in general typically is a GUI item that allows a user to adjust the value within a range. A "slider" is to a range as XHTML is to XML.

I'm not sure what the HTML5 spec is on this topic though I'd have to go with range as slider would be one possible "child" GUI method of adjusting the "parent" object (range).
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby zcorpan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:49 pm

I think the general thinking at the moment regarding forms features is to wait for more implementations of what is already specified before adding even more features.

<input type="range"> is implemented and shipped in two browsers already so probably too late to rename.

You could email Hixie or the mailing list though to make sure this idea gets considered for WF3.
zcorpan
<article>

Postby DanMan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:11 pm

zcorpan wrote:I think the general thinking at the moment regarding forms features is to wait for more implementations of what is already specified before adding even more features.

<input type="range"> is implemented and shipped in two browsers already so probably too late to rename.

You could email Hixie or the mailing list though to make sure this idea gets considered for WF3.

Yes, i'm pretty late to that party, i know. I was just hoping to have those min and max range values exposed to the GUI somehow.

I'll consider emailing it (i feel kinda awkward about that).
DanMan
<h6>

Return to Feedback on the Specs