These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:09 pm Advanced search

Local file rendering

Here you can discuss stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere; anything you want really.

Local file rendering

Postby mhat » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:32 am

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and my HTML5 knowledge is quite limited.

I was wondering if there is a way (a simple one) for a webapp to process data locally and after the process is done, send the result to the server. Let me explain it a bit more: let's say the webapp needs to process or render a big image. It is really easy to work with images with php (or any other serverside language) but, if the image size is too big, the server needs to allocate enough memory (say about +100M) to perform the process. In many shared servers, the max memory allocation is limited (10-20M) so, for now, I need to render the image locally with an app that i've wrote (that works with php and some javascript) working in localhost (my machine) and after the process has ended, upload the resulting file to the server.
Few weeks ago I discovered GoogleGears (I know, they are not working with it anymore) but it has a cool feature that enables webapps to "work" offline. I haven't digged enought in Gears (since I thought it could be a waste of time) but perhaps the above stated problem could be solved using this sort of addon (just telling Gears to render the image locally and after the rendering is done, upload the file). Google says that they won't be working with Gears because HTML5 is going to offer (or actually is offering) the features that GGears did back then.
I'm not sure if I'm making sense but I'll be really thankful if anyone could guide me through a correct or more effective approach. Can HTML5 solve this?

I really apologize for my english and if for some reason this was not the place to ask for this kind of help.

Thanks in advance,

mhat
mhat
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:05 pm

This should be possible with the FileAPI stuff, although it's still new and not implemented everywhere yet.
zcorpan
<article>

Postby mhat » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks zcorpan. I would definitely take a look at the FileAPI stuff. Looks really interesting.
mhat
<h6>

Return to Off Topic