These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:07 pm Advanced search

5 suggestions for forms in HTML 5

Do you think the HTML spec should do something differently? You can discuss spec feedback here, but you should send it to the WHATWG mailing list or file a bug in the W3C bugzilla for it to be considered.

Re: 5 suggestions for forms in HTML 5

Postby dhayfule » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:35 am

What about adding search input element to web form such as <input type="search" />
I still remember the vintage <isindex> tag that was used for internal site search.
dhayfule
<h6>

Postby Tobias Hanser » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:22 pm

dhayfule wrote:What about adding search input element to web form such as <input type="search" />
I still remember the vintage <isindex> tag that was used for internal site search.

If it is possible this easy way, that would be very nice. Then it would not only be good for users, to have this function without scripting, but also for webdesigners who can easily use this tag.
Tobias Hanser
<h5>

Postby zcorpan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:32 am

You guys should try reading the spec! :)

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/cu ... arch-state
zcorpan
<article>

Postby Tobias Hanser » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:43 pm

@zcorpan:
My English isn't very good. Does this document mean, that a type-by-type search for search fields (without scripting) will be part of HTML? But I've read it will not be part of HTML5. Which HTML will it be part of?

That would be great news... I hope we don't have to wait too long for it.
Tobias Hanser
<h5>

Postby zcorpan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:41 am

<input type=search> is in the spec and has been implemented by several browsers.
zcorpan
<article>

Postby Niklas81 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:47 pm

Does this give search-suggestions / auto-completion without scripting?
Niklas81
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:41 am

It's equivalent to <input type=text> except it renders as a search field. So it autocompletes just like type=text and suggestions need to be implemented with script (maybe using <datalist>).
zcorpan
<article>

Postby Tobias Hanser » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:28 am

But that's not, what this thread is about. Beneath the other suggestions of this thread, the suggestion for search-fields doesn't mean only the optics of a search-field, but to have an option (an additional parameter or something like that), so that the webdesigner can use search-suggestions (like is known from Google, Wikipedia, and many other sites) without scripting!!

That would not only be nice for webdesigners, that are not familiar with scripting (and the goal of HTML was, that many people can share information, not only programmers). But it would also be nice for users that have deactivated scripting (e.g. for security) or even can't change the settings (school, university, work, and so on). Search-suggestions are such a handy and basic function of websites, this should be possible without scripting.
Tobias Hanser
<h5>

Postby JAB Creations » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:23 am

I don't consider anyone who doesn't know JavaScript a web designer just as I wouldn't consider anyone who doesn't know how to work with databases a web developer.

The goal is not to avoid using JavaScript, the goal is to make the standard more conductive to progress.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby zcorpan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:15 am

Ah, sorry, I probably didn't read the whole thread (or I've probably read everything but forgot the first few pages of the thread and just read the last few posts asking for <input type=search> without saying what they wanted it to do).

Anyway, I believe this is a noted feature request that might be added after browsers have implemented the current form feature set. If you want you can summarize the use cases in this thread in an email to whatwg@whatwg.org or file a bug in W3C Bugzilla.
zcorpan
<article>

Postby Tobias Hanser » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:08 am

@JAB Creations:
In the early 1990s, when Tim Berners-Lee invented the WWW and HTML, his basic goal was, that it would be easy for everybody to publish information. Not only for programmers.

But even if we don't look at the webdesigners, there are still the users. And some users deactivate Scripting (for security or whatever other reason) and on other computers (school, university, work,...) you are not able to change the settings, even if you want to. E.g. I use NoScript and only allow scripting on very few trusted sites, that really need it.

@zcorpan:
Thanks for the information, but I'm not familiar with Bugzilla. Maybe you or someone else can post it there? I'd be very thankful if somebody else could do it.
Tobias Hanser
<h5>

Postby JAB Creations » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:30 am

That's all well and fine Tobias though you've missed my point; if you don't know any JavaScript then you're not a web designer. If you decide to pursue jobs doing web design you won't be hired by anyone who knows better if you don't know at least a modest amount of scripting. As standards continue to evolve the uses of JavaScript will shift though it will still be a necessary part of what it takes to build sites that are more complex than a few static pages.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby Tobias Hanser » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:45 am

Maybe my english isn't good enough, but I agree with you: somebody who makes big websites with search-functions should know about scripting. And those people, who only want to have a personal website don't use search-functions or use the ready-to-use google-search.

So, forget what I've said about webdesigners.

But:
there are still the users. And some users deactivate Scripting (for security or whatever other reason) and on other computers (school, university, work,...) you are not able to change the settings, even if you want to. E.g. I use NoScript and only allow scripting on very few trusted sites, that really need it.
Tobias Hanser
<h5>

Postby JAB Creations » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:45 am

NoScript is a good idea though not executed in the most graceful of manners, your point about clients disabling scripting is valid.

I think HTML5 won't be very universal until about the mid-2020s as Microsoft supports each version of Internet Explorer for far beyond a sane amount of time and IE9 doesn't support HTML5 forms. I would like to see the continued trend of automating certain things; if auto-suggest can be automated then that would be great. :)
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby Niklas81 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:11 am

I totally agree that search-suggestions should be possible without scripting. (I use Firefox with the NoScript-extension too.)

But we should not forget, that this thread also has even more suggestions for forms that are great too.

Of course not everything makes sense to do without scripting, but some useful und widely used basic features that can be done without scripting (e.g. search-suggestions) should be possible without scripting.
Niklas81
<h6>

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback on the Specs