These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:07 pm Advanced search

5 suggestions for forms in HTML 5

Do you think the HTML spec should do something differently? You can discuss spec feedback here, but you should send it to the WHATWG mailing list or file a bug in the W3C bugzilla for it to be considered.

Re: 5 suggestions for forms in HTML 5

Postby zcorpan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:16 pm

Tobias Hanser wrote:@zcorpan:
Thanks for the information, but I'm not familiar with Bugzilla. Maybe you or someone else can post it there? I'd be very thankful if somebody else could do it.

You can file a bug by using the comment form in the spec.
zcorpan
<article>

Postby Tobias Hanser » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:35 am

Where do I find this? Can you give me an URL?
Tobias Hanser
<h5>

Postby zcorpan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:44 am

zcorpan
<article>

Postby Pascal » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:56 am

As I've already mentioned in another thread:
The original, initial idea of the WhatWG, of WebForms and HTML5 was, to make more things possible without Scripting. One reason was to make many basic functions available even when Scripting is off.

Of course, not everything would make sense to do without scripting, because this would get too complicated. But these things mentioned here are good examples of basic functions, that should be possible without scripting. Especially the search-suggestions as-you-type would be fantastic to use without scripting. And the superior checkboxes that control inferior checkboxes would be great too and even easier to implement.

I don't know, which technical changes have to be done to do this, but they sure should be done.

And I have one idea, that would be a big improvement without changing HTML, it should be done in the browsers:
many webpages (e.g. Wikipedia, Google, Bing, and many many more) only have one text-input field. The others are checkboxes, radio-buttons,... At such pages user-input is always meant for this single field, because there are no others that are awaiting text. All browsers should place text-input on pages with only one text-input field into this field - even when the cursor isn't activated in it. That would be a big improvement of usability!
Pascal
<h6>

Previous

Return to Feedback on the Specs