These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:07 pm Advanced search

Enable cross domain JS access to the spec

Do you think the HTML spec should do something differently? You can discuss spec feedback here, but you should send it to the WHATWG mailing list or file a bug in the W3C bugzilla for it to be considered.

Enable cross domain JS access to the spec

Postby kennyluck » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:43 pm

I was trying to find the right place to ask this, and I guess this is the right place.

Please enable cross domain JS access on the HTML LS spec. If it's not possible, can anyone provide me a link to the rationale?

Or is there a mirrored spec that allows cross domain access?
kennyluck
<h6>

Re: Enable cross domain JS access to the spec

Postby kennyluck » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:59 pm

This is more of an issue of the Website. I don't know why the administrator posts it here.
kennyluck
<h6>

Postby JAB Creations » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:04 pm

If you download the noscript extension for Firefox and visit caniuse.com you'll notice that the site will not work unless you allow a script to load from microsoft.com so technically you can use cross-domain JavaScript.
JAB Creations
<aside>

Postby zcorpan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:49 am

Do you mean add CORS headers to the spec so you can read it with XHR from another origin?
zcorpan
<article>

Postby kennyluck » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:31 pm

zcorpan wrote:Do you mean add CORS headers to the spec so you can read it with XHR from another origin?

Yes, that's exactly what I want, but I thought I should state out "use cases" instead of solutions :P

Here are the use cases:

1. Allow authors to generate a list of terms defined in the spec by getElementsByTagName('dfn') as this is extremely useful for translating this spec.
2. Allow users to generate a caniuse.com like site on the fly (although the data from the infoboxes might not be as good)
(Other interesting mashups of the spec)
kennyluck
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:45 am

I suggest you discuss this with Hixie directly (either in #whatwg or by email, ian@hixie.ch)
zcorpan
<article>

Return to Feedback on the Specs