These forums are currently read-only due to receiving more spam than actual discussion. Sorry.

It is currently Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:13 pm Advanced search

HTML5 combobox?

If you are stuck or have questions regarding HTML or other Web technologies, ask your questions here. No question too dumb!

HTML5 combobox?

Postby hohwille » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi there,

I want to do a real combobox. When you search the web you will find tons of links that explain how to do a combobox with HTML5 but to my surprise they all explain how to create a suggest-box using a data-list. It is nice to have this in HTML5 but is there a way to add an expand-button to it so it can be expanded with a mouse click? The most important thing about this is that the users expect a combo box in that way and otherwise can not see the difference to a regular text input what is a usability problem. Many users do not know that they can press [alt][arrow down] to expand.
Is there a way to expand a data-list based input via JavaScript? That would already solve my problem...
Thanks
Jörg
hohwille
<h6>

Re: HTML5 combobox?

Postby zcorpan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:25 am

Nothing prevents browsers from showing the button for input+datalist. File bugs on the browsers.
zcorpan
<article>

Postby hohwille » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks for your feedback.
The problem is that this has to be addressed by the standard. An expand button is not always desired so the "living" HTML standard has to tell how to address this.
Browser implementors do not go their own ways - these days are over and that is good.
BTW see
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issu ... ?id=152375
hohwille
<h6>

Postby zcorpan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 pm

This is UI, browsers are free to do basically whatever with the UI.

If you want to be able to control whether there is a button or not, that seems like something for CSS to solve.
zcorpan
<article>

Return to Help & Advice